Interesting Fish To Breed

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hi all,

not posted on here for 2 years, hope theres still some of the old crew left!

I have just obtained a 21x21x21 cube, about 140 litres

im looking to try to breed something more unusual or a bit of a challenge but I need inspiration...

local water is hard and I don't have an RO unit so please bear that in mind with your suggestions.
filtration, lighting, substrate, water quality will all be top notch so no worries there.

I have been considering things like CRS, but no RO unit so that's a no-no, zebra plecos and corydoras sp, appeal to me a lot, as they take some work too get them breeding but will allow me to have a few other small dither fish to fill the upper levels, something i cant do with CRS.

im not in it for profit or any of that nonsense, but obviously i will sell fish on if the population rockets.

please don't suggest silly things like guppies, platies, bristlenoses as they aren't a challenge to breed and you are left with millions of the buggers.

any suggestions?

would like to keep it community as ive already got mbuna getting jiggy downstairs!

cheers

I was going to suggest Shelldwellers, but that may be too similar to your Mbuna setup.

Another option would be apistogramma species of some description.

it would be nice to find some true C.julii which im asking a few suppliers about, in all honesty im still considering L046 as a challenge, just has a prohibitive start up cost.

ideally need to source 4 to be in with a decent chance

Ok, here's a bit of a challenge: dwarf angelfish.

Zebras are ideal in terms of giving small spawns. The problem is they are seasonal spawners and with hard tap water you would likely need an RO or an RO/DI unit. Changing the conductivity/TDS is a key ytihhrt for spawning them. The other thing is thay also have a tendency not to respond to our running dry and and rainy seasons. My group spawned regularly for over 3 years and then stopped entirely for over 2. They resumed spawning earlier this year finally. But I just let them alone for the last 14 months or so,

The other problem is you really need to spawn zebras in a speciaes tanks to have any real chance at success and to protect them from other fish.

Nick16 said:
freshwater.. .not salties

You were loking for a challenge ;)
You will find little in FW that is harder than anything in SW

but this is posted in a freshwater section so theres a fairly big hint there!

i think im going to go with very high grade CRS, but it will be a long process as i need to mature the tank quickly with plants and fish in order to build up a biofilm

i will get an RO unit, some Ebi gold, water and substrate additives and a tds meter.

will begin a project thread at some point!

Most reactions

Back