Instead Of A Glass Divider, Could Mesh Be Used?

KeeperOfFishyPeace

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was just thinking, couldn't some sort of plastic mesh work okay instaed of glass or acrylic? It's easy to cut, water flows through, and it acts as a divider. I've seen tons at home depot (small and large holes) and that got me thinking...

nice, but i was thinking about bettas. could i silicon glue the right sized mesh in the middle of the tank (when empty)?

Sure, you could do that, or use 1/4" pvc & silicone the mesh to that.

I've taken the eggcrate, cut it a little big, then just wedged it in the tank for angels. Once the fry hit dime body size they are too big to fit through. I've had fry & breeding pairs in the same tank.

nice, but i was thinking about bettas. could i silicon glue the right sized mesh in the middle of the tank (when empty)?

i don't see why not, as bettas aint the strongest fish in the world! but it may be worth making some sort of frame to go round the sides and bottom, so there is more area for the silicone to grip. say two strips of plastic, one on each side, put around the two sides and the bottom, you could use silicone to stick it!

hey, that's a really good idea. i have to go to home depot and check out what they have. this will be my first DIY project! yay! LOL

see, I'm going to get a 2.5 gallon (12"L x 8"H x 6"W), divide it with mesh, and add a mini filter (don't know which one yet), and a lamp will give heat and light. don't worry about the light boiling the water, I've tested it on a 1.5 gallon bowl for 12 hours and it got to 77F, and the water temp was steady, just what I need.

When i separated my bettas i just went down the sewing shop and bought a 15 " square of plastic canvas for £2.50 and slid it in the tank , Cheap, easy and effective :good:

Hi. :)

I've made dividers using the craft canvas, which is extremely inexpensive, with report binders slipped around teh edges for support. I tried siliconing the binders onto the sides of the tank but when I went to slide the craft canvas found that the silicone doesn't bond well with the plastic. So... I ended up making one by sewing a horizontal piece onto the bottom to go under the gravel. As long as the canvas is cut precisely to the correct size and you use the report binders along the top as well, there are no problems with the divider slipping and you don't need messy silicone. They can be removed and added while the tank is full of water, although you have to take up the gravel to install them. I would think it would be possible to make them without the base, and Ive seen people use suction cups at the top to hold them in place, which is probably an even better idea than the base I used.

IMO that design that requires cutting plastic looks like too much work. The plastic would be more expensive than the craft canvas and report binders, too. And you can cut those with scissors.

HTH. I can provide pictures if you want.

I would recomend away from wire mesh for a few reasons. Here in the states they often galvalize the metal before it hits the stores and you don't want that galvanizing stuff in your tank. Most other metals will start to rust when kept submerged in water or otherwise add metals to your water that you don't want your fish exposed to.

Additionally, since you are dividing your tank for betas, and you know that they are hostile to eachother, you are faced with the high likelyhood that your fish will spend some (or a great deal) of his time up against the grate, rubbing and fighting to reach the fish on the other side. I would be wary of rubbed noses and lips on a fish who's that agressive, kept with a grate in his tank instead of a smooth plastic/glass divider.

Just my thoughts. I have used plastic dividers myself to help new fish aclamate, but would avoid metal at all costs. There are lots of very soft plastic meshes available in my local craft stores that would work wonderfully and would be much less likely to damage your fish.

-Nerwign

I would recomend away from wire mesh for a few reasons. Here in the states they often galvalize the metal before it hits the stores and you don't want that galvanizing stuff in your tank. Most other metals will start to rust when kept submerged in water or otherwise add metals to your water that you don't want your fish exposed to.
-Nerwign

I read your post and thought BINGO!!! Zinc poisoning is not a good thing. Perhaps a vinyl window screening would be good for this? Either way I agree I wouldnt use anything that may be abrasive if the fish in question are likley to rub on it.

Most reactions

Back