Injury Or Illness

tgo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm very worried about one of my zebra danios, he has some redness (no swelling really) in his anal area. He also is not swimming around as much and chasing fish like I'm used to seeing. I did a little research and I'm not sure if its an internal infection like camallanus or something, I'm worried he might be contagious. Please help, is there anything else I could look for to indicate what it could be.

I am running two filters on my cycled tank, water stats are dead on. I have live plants. I also recently purchsed a few ghost shrimp. I leave for vacation in a week and I'm concerned about my fish.

I just lost another danio two weeks ago, couldn't treat it in time, but I did add some Melafix so I still have some of that. I don't have a quarantine tank and Idon't really like using meds on the tank unless its necessary.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Does the fish look bloated or skinny.
Whaat does it look like when he goes to the toilet.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.

Red inflamed anus can be dropsy, internal parasites,

thanks for the response Wilder

No the fish doesn't look skinny or bloated, and I can't see any worms protruding from the anus either

I just fed the fish a tiny bit and he came up for food, but not as enthusiastic as usual.

I thought it could be constipation, only because he tends to get more food than the other fish, and he did get alot yesterday. But he's not at all bloated, just not as active as usual,

One thing I did notice was that the pelvic fins are clamped down most the time, but the other fins are not. The rednes is between the pelvic and anal fins.

Also, he does "dip down" a bit because he is not moving a whole lot. Not sure I explained this right, but it may be important.

it could be septicemia then if the fiins are red.
I would add a bacterial med to the tank that treats septicemia.
Septicemia hard to cure once it advances.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.

Septicemia

Symptoms:

Fish may have reddening at fin bases, blood streaks throughout the fins and body, small hemorrhages around the eyes. Dull listless behavior and lack of appetite may also be present.

Cause:

Systemic bacterial infection caused by various bacteria, including Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio. The illness is often brought on by poor water quality or as a result of parasitic infestations or other infections. These bacteria enter the blood stream and circulate through the tissues causing inflammation and damage. Inflamed blood vessels in the skin and at fin bases stand out. Blood vessel and heart tissue damage cause hemorrhaging and consequently leakage of body fluids into the abdomen, which may lead to Dropsy.

Treatment:

Water conditions must be improved for all fish in the tank, regardless of how many fish are infected. Check your water’s Treat with Kanacyn or Tetracycline as well as with a medicated food if the fish will eat. If parasites are suspected, all the fish in the tank should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Using salt to help restore osmotic balance might be helpful.

it could be septicemia then if the fiins are red.
I would add a bacterial med to the tank that treats septicemia.
Septicemia hard to cure once it advances.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.

Septicemia

Symptoms:

Fish may have reddening at fin bases, blood streaks throughout the fins and body, small hemorrhages around the eyes. Dull listless behavior and lack of appetite may also be present.

Cause:

Systemic bacterial infection caused by various bacteria, including Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio. The illness is often brought on by poor water quality or as a result of parasitic infestations or other infections. These bacteria enter the blood stream and circulate through the tissues causing inflammation and damage. Inflamed blood vessels in the skin and at fin bases stand out. Blood vessel and heart tissue damage cause hemorrhaging and consequently leakage of body fluids into the abdomen, which may lead to Dropsy.

Treatment:

Water conditions must be improved for all fish in the tank, regardless of how many fish are infected. Check your water’s Treat with Kanacyn or Tetracycline as well as with a medicated food if the fish will eat. If parasites are suspected, all the fish in the tank should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Using salt to help restore osmotic balance might be helpful.

I haven't been able to spot him poo yet, possibly because he isn't eating that much. The fins themselves are not red, just around the anus. Isn't it bad to medicate healthy fish, which is what I'd have to do since I don't have a quaratine tank? What medication would you recommend? Does the medication harm inverts?

No whiteness around the red area on the anus.
I would keep a look out for when he goes to the toilet.
Also try him on some shelled cook peas.

Well, its a few days later and everything appears fine. I finally noticed him go to the bathroom and it was normal, perhaps he was really constipated or somehting, or maybe it had to do with his current mating behaviour. Whatever it was, I'm relieved.

Thanks Wilder, I didn't have peas but I starved them for a couple days, maybe that helped instead.

Glad he's ok now.
Still keep a close eye on him.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back