In hood filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just been to collect my new tank tonight and didn't realise how different it would be to my smaller one :blink:.

Can someone please just confirm that this is the filter and I'm not totally bloody stupid?
20200214_181728.jpg

I believe it's called a in hood filter???

I tried looking it up for ya but didn't come up with much. I can only see it from the top, but that looks like a media tray that would insert into a hang on back filter.

Can you post a picture of the side? It's hard to tell from the top only.

Ok, so after doing some googling, I believe the tank is a aqua verse 110l aquarium. At least it looks like it to me.

The (filter?) I sent the first pic of connects to a plastic tube which is in the tank (pics included). I believe this is sucking the water up, then it is being
20200215_083957.jpg
delivered back into the tank, (again pics included).

Reading the description of the aquaverse aquarium it days it comes with interpets cf easy care filtration system which I dont believe mine does not. Will I have to buy one?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20200215_084005.jpg
    20200215_084005.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200215_084012.jpg
    20200215_084012.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20200215-084043_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-084043_Samsung Internet.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200215_084327.jpg
    20200215_084327.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200215_084341.jpg
    20200215_084341.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20200215-085135_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-085135_Samsung Internet.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 64
So so sorry but looking again I dont think it is the aquaverse aquarium :blush:. I'm getting so stressed, just want to make sure I'm doing it right this time ????

The big inserts in the top look like filter cartridges - probably carbon covered in a floss layer. These need regular replacement and are a good money earner for the manfacturer. I would remove this and cut a piece of filter sponge to the same size and put that in its place. You can then rinse this at every water change and only replace when it falls apart.

The bag at the end looks like it contains some type of media - probably ceramic. You could clean this thoroughly and re-use it or buy new media or simply replace the entire bag with another piece of sponge (that would be my choice). This should also be rinsed with your weekly water changes once the tank is up and running.

The big inserts in the top look like filter cartridges - probably carbon covered in a floss layer. These need regular replacement and are a good money earner for the manfacturer. I would remove this and cut a piece of filter sponge to the same size and put that in its place. You can then rinse this at every water change and only replace when it falls apart.

The bag at the end looks like it contains some type of media - probably ceramic. You could clean this thoroughly and re-use it or buy new media or simply replace the entire bag with another piece of sponge (that would be my choice). This should also be rinsed with your weekly water changes once the tank is up and running.
Thank you so much for the reply. I will replace that today with sponge. Will it work just the same?

Just did a search on the part number and this came up - which confirms what I thought, although it looks like the previous owner already got rid of the second cartridge and replaced it with alternate media
https://www.aa-aquarium.com/basic-range

Thank you so much for the reply. I will replace that today with sponge. Will it work just the same?
Yes it will. There are many long debates about which media is best, along with every manufacturer telling you why their (super expensive) product is better than any one elses. Truth is sponge works well. If you can get a sheet of pond filter sponge you can cut and shape it as required. Don't get one that is too fine as that gets clogged easily.

None of the fish shops around me seem to sell the plain old sponge anymore. I cut up some old sponge filters I had for the Fluval 405. These have been in use for many (more than 10) years and are the only media I have in 2 of my tanks - including the one in my signature.

This sort of thing would be ideal

Yes it will. There are many long debates about which media is best, along with every manufacturer telling you why their (super expensive) product is better than any one elses. Truth is sponge works well. If you can get a sheet of pond filter sponge you can cut and shape it as required. Don't get one that is too fine as that gets clogged easily.

None of the fish shops around me seem to sell the plain old sponge anymore. I cut up some old sponge filters I had for the Fluval 405. These have been in use for many (more than 10) years and are the only media I have in 2 of my tanks - including the one in my signature.

This sort of thing would be ideal
Thanks for that. I'll go out today and see what I can get a hold of. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back