In-Between Finnage?

LaVidaBoring

Reaction score
I was at my LFS yesterday and I saw a small betta that had shorter finnage a la the plakat look but with the shape of the halfmoon finnage. The length of his fins were longer than the typical plakat but definitely way shorter than the typical halfmoon. But they were symmetric around the body without the angular look of the bottom fin that plakats typically have.

Are there bettas with intermediate types of finnage? Or was this maybe just a too-short-finned reject from a halfmoon breeder?

I was at my LFS yesterday and I saw a small betta that had shorter finnage a la the plakat look but with the shape of the halfmoon finnage. The length of his fins were longer than the typical plakat but definitely way shorter than the typical halfmoon. But they were symmetric around the body without the angular look of the bottom fin that plakats typically have.

Are there bettas with intermediate types of finnage? Or was this maybe just a too-short-finned reject from a halfmoon breeder?

You get some long finned plakats and some shorter finned varieties of other fish. If you breed a long and a short tailed betta you'll get some long, some short and some in the middle.

You get some long finned plakats and some shorter finned varieties of other fish. If you breed a long and a short tailed betta you'll get some long, some short and some in the middle.

Ah, OK, I guess this was a breeder reject then. He had a very stubby body too, which is more of a plakat trait?

I don't know anything about plakats.

I personally think the long finned plakats are nicer than the shorter finned ones; it all depends on what you like at the end of the day. Most people prefer the shorter finned plakats. Me - I like fins :)

The girl in my avatar pic <<< is a halfmoon plaket

Yeah, but yours looks more like what I thought plakats were supposed to look like, with the pronounced slanted shape of the anal fin, the shorter dorsal fin, and the rounded-edge tail as opposed to the straight-edged tail.

I found a betta listing on aquabid that has fins a lot like the one I saw at the LFS: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1277857808

The betta I saw at the LFS had a much stubbier body, though. Almost like a platy's.

thats a male,finnage will be bigger. TBH, I personally think LFS bettas are a lucky dip, that you may only find 1 in that are not a throw back in someway. Being tubbed will stunt a betta's , once it's out of the tub and in a tank, it will flourish.

The girls on mt siggy vvvvvv are PKs

thats a male,finnage will be bigger. TBH, I personally think LFS bettas are a lucky dip, that you may only find 1 in that are not a throw back in someway. Being tubbed will stunt a betta's , once it's out of the tub and in a tank, it will flourish.

The girls on mt siggy vvvvvv are PKs

That is very true. Basically pick one you like the look of and who cares if it's some breeders reject.

My betta was in a fairly "large" small tub (not a tiny one but it was still small) and he's grown since being in my tank :)

Most reactions

Back