Imagine These In Your Living Room!

I don't like them either they don't look right.
Need a ladder to do the gravel or sand, not very practical.

i think its the maintainence that would be a problem - how in hell would you reach the gravel!!

there's just something really not right about those tanks.

the stand being wood isn't a problem - wood is extremely strong in compression - its more the joints between the different peices of wood themselves i would be concerned about. the steel you often see used as tank stands are massively over engineered (and actually steel isn't strong in compression but in tension) but we are so used to thinking of and expecting massive bits of steel that slender steel members often provoke completely unfounded concern. trust me - i do this on a much larger scale every day. there we go thats my geek moment over for this evening :)

there's always the problem with tall tanks, like the big hex tanks you get, absolute bugger to stock cos they're not big enough width wise to fit any big fish in and to get fish to use the full height of the space is tricky. i'd be at a loss what to do with them to be honest :/

It's pretty easy to use the height if you're aquascaping a saltwater reef tank. You just make a sloping incline usiing live rock, then add a bunch of corals. Of course you would want to build a skeleton frame using PVC pipring as a foundation before you put the live rock in. This way you don't have to use live rock as the foundatiion.

it would be beautiful as someone else's aquascape i agree :)

They would look good with a large tree branch in each and with discus in one and angelfish in the other.

i think its the maintainence that would be a problem - how in hell would you reach the gravel!!

there's just something really not right about those tanks.

the stand being wood isn't a problem - wood is extremely strong in compression - its more the joints between the different peices of wood themselves i would be concerned about. the steel you often see used as tank stands are massively over engineered (and actually steel isn't strong in compression but in tension) but we are so used to thinking of and expecting massive bits of steel that slender steel members often provoke completely unfounded concern. trust me - i do this on a much larger scale every day. there we go thats my geek moment over for this evening :)

Yeah it would be nice to have some aluminum triangulation around the legs joints and under the base. :)

Wow those tanks are terrible for fish tanks. Whoever manufactured those wasnt thinks about anything but the look. Look how close they would be to the celing for on1, and how the heck would you clean them, how would you reach the gravel? You would have to get a step ladder just to turn the light on and off if you werent smart enough to get a timer. And how would you fill it with gravel and decorations without actually getting in the tank and placing them on the bottom so as not to drop the stuff down and break the glass? And them you would have to worry about breaking it by standing in it. Wow so many bad things about those tanks, you would have to be dumb IMO to buy them.

Well, if I bought one, I'd definately do a paludarium. I'd also cut a good sized chunk out of the glass on the side of the tank about half way up and install a clear door. Bottom 3rd could make an interesting 40 gallon aquarium, top 2/3rds tree-frog heaven.

Most reactions

Back