I'm Thinking. . .

jaclynhas7days

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
There's a 10 gal. at Wal-Mart for 9-something, which is rather cheap, so I think I'll purchase that and fill it with males guppies not from Wal-Mart. Does six sound about right? I'm told 6, but people have different opinions, so I wanted to get a few. Like in the UK, someone mentioned how it is considered cruel to keep their bettas in anything less than a 2.5 gal., but here in the US, 1 pt. cups seems to be the limit. And also, a snail? They produce a lot of waste I know, but could one still work? Or is there another kind of tank cleaner I can use? No ghost shrimp; they're ugly.

That is fine. That is about the top for a ten gallon tank. As for a tank cleaner, I prefer cories with livebearers, because that could add to the liveliness in your tank. Fish movement at the top (the guppies) and the cories playing at the bottom, but don't forget you should have more than one cory, because they school. If you don't want a cory, go for a small pleco, definately not a common plec, because they would get too big, something smaller :D

The pitbull plec grows to 2-2.5", so I'm thinking pitbull plec, but I read somewhere that they like to burrow in sand. Is sand okay for guppies? I know they're not as hardy as platys, and sand can make something like nitrate skyrocket. Probably not nitrate, but it was something.

Yes, sand is fine for Guppies. They aren't picky about substrate. Plecos aren't really tank cleaners...they may eat algae, depending on what type, but that's it. You'll have to feed him, and of course, keep up with your water changes and gravel vacuums.

Most plecos are SOMEWHAT tank cleaners, they clear algae off the sides, but they don't really clean bottoms at all, except for when you feed them. I would go with maybe pygmy cories if you are more of the lazy type for cleaning tanks. :D

Most plecos are SOMEWHAT tank cleaners, they clear algae off the sides, but they don't really clean bottoms at all, except for when you feed them. I would go with maybe pygmy cories if you are more of the lazy type for cleaning tanks. :D

Only certain types of Algae. Pygmy Cories are very active fish, not so much bottom swimmers as middle swimmers. They also won't eat waste or anything, just uneaten food. No fish is a tank cleaner. That's your job. :D

Most reactions

Back