I’m having some mold problems with Chinese Evergreen growing out of my tank…

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
The plants always appear wet, and while it’s a highly flowing tank, there just isn’t that much water splashing out… I added a smaller fan to increase air flow around the plants above the tank, but I think the roots are drawing up too much water… I don’t think it’s the fault of the plant species, as I have 2 tanks, side by side, with the same plants, and same planting methods , and one tank the roots are what I consider “normal”, and the tank with the issue, the roots are growing out like crazy, way more root below the water, than green plants above the water… I think the roots are sucking up so much water, that the plants are precipitating it, so they are always wet… since these plants are often used this way in aquariums, I’m just curious if anyone else has had this happen???

Maybe a rooting hormone was used by the seller to speed up the rooting process originally??? I always wash the root ball, down to bare roots, before they go into a tanks… this is the tank with the wet plants there are about 5 times more roots on these plants, than on the other tank, in less time, than the “normal” plants

Thoughts???
IMG_6598.jpeg

Is the problem on the underwater roots, or the leaves?

I have the same plants here, but the leaves never show moisture. I get my water movement from extra power filters though, and not by airstones or bubblewands. The latter really increase humidity around the tank as the bubbles burst at the surface. That could be the problem.

We're in different environments, I expect. My sea coast habitat is always a bit damp, with very heavy dew in the morning and not a lot of dryness in houses. I've avoided airstones except in special projects (egg hatching, etc) partly because of the amount of water they launch into the air.

Most reactions

Back