I'm Getting A Red Devil What Should I Expect ?

Dont you think it would be more sensible to do your research BEFORE deciding you are getting something ?  Also, how are we going to be able to advise you what to expect without knowing anything more than the fact you are getting one ?  What size is the tank you are going to keep it in ? Are there any other fish ?  Have you kept cichlids before ? If not you are certainly jumping in at the deep end.

Here is an extract from seriously fish

"One of the most downright aggressive cichlids around, you need to know what you’re doing when attempting to keep a red devil with anything else, and that includes its own kind. In very large tanks this aggression becomes less of a problem, but by very large we are talking in excess of 1000 litres"

The site recommends at least a 5 foot tank for a single fish and a much bigger tank of there are any tank mates

I really hope you know what your getting into but given the vagueness of your initial e-mail I suspect not

He does say "getting" rather than "got" so fingers crossed he still has time to fully comprehend what he's letting himself in for...

I'm just going to back right out of this thread  
no.gif

SmexxyNick said:
Just want to know what to expect, behavior 
They are a typical large Central American cichlid. They will grow to over a foot in length and require a large tank to house them. I would say a  4 ft 75G tank is the minimum tank for a single fish. They are usually very aggresive.

Yeah i don't even think i should get this fish than, my relative was just trying to get rid of some. Thanks for the heads up

Marnee said:
I'm just going to back right out of this thread  
no.gif

Lol until you said that you weren't even in it 
winner.gif

SmexxyNick said:
Yeah i don't even think i should get this fish than, my relative was just trying to get rid of some. Thanks for the heads up

Wise move.  Give your rellie a slap from all of us :)

On a more sensible note, if you tell us what your setup is Im sure plenty of good suggestions will come out of the woodwork :)

Most reactions

Back