Illoiuminous green alge/ mould/ fungus

Dansoap

Reaction score
I have recently set up a new fish tank which i have put white sand and a large piece of driftwood in it, as well as my filter heater and airation.

I used some chlorine remover and a bacteria start as i was going to fishless cycle it. After 3 days i went away for ten days and left it all running. When i came back the and was covered in bright green whispy bushes and stunk like mould.

I removed all the contaminated sand and did a 100% water change. Filled it all back up and after a few days it all started growing back.

I cleaned it all again removed the driftwood and a few days later it's back. I think the sand is contaminated.

Not sure what to do it what has caused it.

Any ideas?

In your situation seeing your tank covered in algae like that is one of the best things you can see. All that algae means that your tank is properly filtering toxins and for lack of a better term "alive"

People get discouraged when they see algae because they consider it unsightly and it can look much like a hostile take over of a tank. The important thing to know is that the algae is properly going to convert things like ammonia and nitrates into "plant" or in this case algae growth.

Now you obviously want to begin cutting back at that algae but in my opinion the best way to start fighting back the algae is to add fish or invertebrates that will feed off it. You can clean the front panel of the tank manually if you want, that way you can see what's going on in your tank but that algae is honestly the best thing you can see at this stage in your tanks life.

The alge is starting to really grow now. I'm doing regular water changes

Attachments

• 20170512_152527.jpg
    20170512_152527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
  • 20170512_152523.jpg
    20170512_152523.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
The alge is starting to really grow now. I'm doing regular water changes

This is not surprising. You have light--and the white sand makes this even worse as it reflects--and nutrients from the fish and organics in the water. No live higher plants to use the light and nutrients, so algae (a lower plant) will naturally be present. The more intense the light, the worse this will become.

If I were you, I would remove the white sand which is not good for fish anyway, and use a darker sand like play sand. Also, you need some decor for those poor fish, they do not like open water so this is causing them stress too. Chunks of wood, live or fake plants, and live floating plants would probably solve all these issues.

Byron.

This 'algae' sounds more like cyanobacteria than any true algae to me.

I agree with Byron that your best move (unfortunately for your wallet) would be to remove that white sand and replace it with a darker color... and then add some plants to that tank to give the fish some cover... Some floating plants would decrease the light getting into the tank as well.

The play sand Byron is suggesting is very inexpensive... BUT, requires a LOT of rinsing to get the smallest bits out that will cloud the water and can damage the filter.

Most reactions

Back