Illness or not?

Fizzle1785

Reaction score
I’ve noticed some of my glowlight tetras have white on their fins. The water temperature is a little high for them due to other fish in the tank which I am currently working on fixing. Something to worry about? And what should I do to help them?

Attachments

• BA3B1923-0B20-428F-A958-92E65A29C05C.jpeg
    BA3B1923-0B20-428F-A958-92E65A29C05C.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 3ADF242D-B213-4812-9E72-6A364AC5039F.jpeg
    3ADF242D-B213-4812-9E72-6A364AC5039F.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 81
I’ve noticed some of my glowlight tetras have white on their fins. The water temperature is a little high for them due to other fish in the tank which I am currently working on fixing. Something to worry about? And what should I do to help them?
The fin whitening could be done to fin nipping. Are there are fish in your tank which may be aggressive towards the fish? Do they all have it? Sometimes nipped fins may not heal well and could sometimes end up with fungus in them.

The only fish that seem to have it are a few glowlight tetras. I have 5 neon and 5 glowlight. 4 out of 5 glowlight have it on various levels. And the only fish that bother them are the other glowlight tetras. They chase each other around once in a while.

The only fish that seem to have it are a few glowlight tetras. I have 5 neon and 5 glowlight. 4 out of 5 glowlight have it on various levels. And the only fish that bother them are the other glowlight tetras. They chase each other around once in a while.
Maybe it could be fin rot. Are your water parameters as they should be? I wouldn’t add any treatment yet unless you are certain what is causing it, you should keep a close eye on the tank and if there is nipping occurring remove the culprit as it will stress the fish a lot.

The white appears to be just colouring, nothing sinister. If you do a search for images of glowlight tetras you'll see that some of the images show the same white patches as your fish.

Keep your eye on them just in case though.

Oh good! It doesn’t look bad to me and the fish are active and appear to be in good health but I don’t recall seeing it before and I wanted to be sure. Thank you for responses. I’ll keep an eye out.

I keep glowlights and those look normal to me.

I agree with Essjay and Seangee - natural markings. :)

Most reactions

Back