Illegal Importation Of Fish

Just in case any body missed it, I've bumped it up.

It is worth a look at, especially if you are even considering buying a betta from Aquabid :good:

Hi Bronzey, just thought I'd acknowledge your efforts, since no-one else has....lol I have wondered about the viability of buying from Aquabid because the local supply of bettas only seems to be limited to VTs, but now I have found a few UK suppliers willing to ship them overnight so will use these sources instead. The concept of shipping a fish half-way across the world in a tiny packet doesn't seem right anyway, especially when you consider that they are treated as freight and airline freight holds usually plummet in temperature during their flights.
Personally I would encourage people to NOT buy privately from Aquabid, as there are good reliable sources in the UK (such as yourself and Netty) that can almost guarantee the arrival of a good/high quality specimen in almost perfect health. Aquabid may be okay for people in the US, but not the UK.
Enough of my ambling, let's see if anyone else has anything to say...lol

well said, but i would like to add that imported fish who are supplied by large breeding farms are usually sent via the correct means in to the UK with health certificates and an export license. The buyer will hold an import license or use a transhipper. To be honest even some people who use a transhipper to get their bettas into the UK do not use the correct packaging. I was talking to DEFRA the other day and they are getting very concerned about the illegal imports of fish, esp betta. I wouldnt be surprised if some people find themselves in a lot of trouble soon as Defra are not far behind them.

Dont worry Daz, I know you are 100% legal :good: It was more for the info of people who were thinking of doing a one-off purchase, or those thinking there was a fast buck in it, as i've noticed a marked increase in new sellers on ebay selling imports.

Most reactions

Back