Ill Molly, Help Please!

keveverard

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, but I have just found one of my mollys looking incredibly ill, if anyone has any advise, I would greatly apptreciate it.... The rest of them seem OK, and the fry are all fine. Don't know if he's been fighting or not.... I've seperated him for the time being poorly molly.jpg
Thank you :)

Sorry, mate, but that looks an awful lot like dropsy. The pineconing effect of the scales is the giveaway on that one.

If so, the internal organs have failed, and in 99% of cases it's fatal. The only thing that I was advised to do, when I had a platy with dropsy, was to give it a bath of Epsom Salts, to try to draw out the liquid inside the fish. It didn't work for me.

Sorry, mate, but that looks an awful lot like dropsy. The pineconing effect of the scales is the giveaway on that one.

If so, the internal organs have failed, and in 99% of cases it's fatal. The only thing that I was advised to do, when I had a platy with dropsy, was to give it a bath of Epsom Salts, to try to draw out the liquid inside the fish. It didn't work for me.

+1

Ah Man.... thanks for your help, have done a bit of research, will do all I can, but I guess it doesn't look too good :/

Ah Man.... thanks for your help, have done a bit of research, will do all I can, but I guess it doesn't look too good :/

No, unfortunately it doesn't. Sorry. :no:

yeah, unfortunatley he didn't make it through the night....
Oh well, best be keeping a eye on the rest of them

My platy lasted for quite a few days with the problem, and me giving him the Epsom Salts thing. In the end, I had to make THE decision.

My platy lasted for quite a few days with the problem, and me giving him the Epsom Salts thing. In the end, I had to make THE decision.

*Hides Hammer*

Luckily not had to do that... Hopefully this was a one off

*Hides Hammer*

Luckily not had to do that... Hopefully this was a one off

I've had to do it a couple of times - the other was a SFF that kept twisting round as it was swimming, and then getting trapped against the filter intake. Not pleasant. Didn't use a hammer, by the way, there's been a lot of discussion on the most humane method of euthanasia for fish, and some heated debate ensure. I don't really want to instigate that again.

Sorry for your loss, OP :-(

Dropsy can often be caused by poor water quality, so do a good clean and large water change in your tank :good:

Most reactions

Back