Ill Fish, Wats Wrong With Him?

fishlover333

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a neon platie, and today wen i woke up his head was a white,grey colour.
its not all his head, just a little bit on the top.
does anyone know wat is wrong with him?
and wat could be done to treat it?
thanks in advance. :rolleyes: :unsure: :blink: :good:

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Temp.

If no signs of flicking and rubbing it sounds like columnaris which can present its self on the head region of the fish.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Temp.

If no signs of flicking and rubbing it sounds like columnaris which can present its self on the head region of the fish.

It is roughly 55 liters.
there are 9 fish, 2 swordtails (1 female (pregnant) , 1 male), 2 neon platies (1 male 1 female), 2 fancy goldfish, 1 suckerfish, 1 large goldfish, 2 cherry shrimp.

i dunno about the water stats.
it is room temprature.

I have also noticed his top fin has been brushed down, so u cant really see it.

Your tanks severely overstocked.

Common goldfish need 20 gallons for the first fish alone, 10 gallons for every other one added.
Fancy goldfish 15 gallons for the first fish, 10 gallons for every other one added.
Also they need double filteration to tank size as they are massive waste producers.

I would think about rehoming the goldfish.
For columnaris in the uk you need myxazin by waterlife and pimafix.

so he has columnaris then?

the tank has been set up for years, and they are happy how they are.

If its gallons then its fine.

on the website u gave, it says white patches, but its not really patches, its more flat.

Columnaris had many disguises.
It can show it's self so many ways from greyish white patches, bleaching beneath the skin, cotton wool, greyish spots with a tinge a red on the outside.
Comes in colours of pink, yellow, brown, white, greyish white.
Usually greyish white patches on the head region are usually columnaris, if no signs of darting, erratic swimming, excess mucas, flicking and rubbing.

Columnaris (a.k.a. Mouth Fungus)

Symptoms:

An infected fish will have off-white to gray cotton-like patches on the head, fins, gills, body and particularly the mouth. In time, these areas will develop into open sores. Gill swelling may occur, gill filaments may stick together and excessive mucus may develop in the gill area. Rapid breathing can be seen. Fins may deteriorate to the point of leaving the fin rays bare. Muscles may be inflamed and capillaries may rupture. Fish, particularly livebearers, may exhibit "shimmying". Infection may be acute (killing an infected fish within hours), or chronic (lingering for several days before eventually killing the fish). As with most diseases, not all symptoms need be present.

Cause:

The bacterium Flexibacter columnaris.

Treatment:

Ensure that your water conditions (e.g., Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Nitrate levels, and water temp.) are within their proper ranges. If not, perform a water change and/or treat the water accordingly. Recommended medications include: Furanace, Fungus Eliminator, Fungus Cure, Furacyn, Furan-2, Triple Sulfa, E.M. Tablets, Tetracycline, or Potassium Permanganate. Medicated foods are also recommended. Columnaris can be highly infectious and may quickly kill all aquarium inhabitants; therefore, early treatment is essential. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium they inhabit should be treated.

He seems to be struggling with his swimming, he is hardly moving.
Thanks for what uve done already, wat can be done to treat it?

He might not make it then.
Need water stats and what you feed the fish.

To treat columnaris in the uk.
Myxazin by waterlife and pimafix.

he gets fed goldfish flakes.
but i dont really no wat water stats are.

You need to improve there diet with frozen foods and veg.
To many dried foods can lead to constipation and swim bladder.
Feed some shelled peas.

Get your water tested at the lfs, and ask them to write the readings down for you.
Invest in some liquid test kits of your own.

Most reactions

Back