Identifying The Parent!

donnylad1980

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently had 2 separate sets of Molly fry (one last night and one about 2 months ago). This might be a ridiculous question, but does the colour of the fry indicate who the mother is? The last set were jet black and I have a female black molly, whereas the latest bunch are all dark grey, and I have a dalmatian female. Does this suggest these were the mothers?

Cheers in advance. 

Once the color comes in you'll have a much better grasp at who the parents are. As of now, theyre probably still colorless little guys for the newest group. but your two month olds should have some pretty decent color indicators to show you whom the parents may have been.

No, colour cannot determine the mother. Mollies, Guppies, Platies and Swordtails all carry so many crossed colour genes that you may have a trio of pure black mollies and get white fry from them.

AdamTheZombie said:
Is that right? Sorry for my misinformation. I always thought those were indicators.

It's OK, everyone thinks that if a female molly is black and the babies are black then they must be hers .The only time you can count on that is if there's only 1 female :lol: I had a Gold Dust female molly who gave birth black baby mollies. The father was a pure white lyretail molly :lol:

I just wanna know what I get from my guppies lol, no idea who the father was but if they turn out anything like my girls... They'll be smexy ;)

That's brilliant guys. Thanks very much for your help. So, in short, the only way I'm going to know which of the 3 ladies is mum is if I actually witness her give birth! :)

I sort of just assumed it was the black molly as she's been hiding for the last week or so and has been very shy. She's normally out at the front of the tank as soon as anyone goes near it. A few days on now, she's back to her old self.

Thanks again.

donnylad1980 said:
That's brilliant guys. Thanks very much for your help. So, in short, the only way I'm going to know which of the 3 ladies is mum is if I actually witness her give birth!
yay.gif
)

I sort of just assumed it was the black molly as she's been hiding for the last week or so and has been very shy. She's normally out at the front of the tank as soon as anyone goes near it. A few days on now, she's back to her old self.

Thanks again.

Yup lol. It might have been then but you can't rely on colour :lol:

Most reactions

Back