Identification Problem.

b0668099

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have seen a couple of these around, but only got one today. This one was thrown in an assorted cichlid tank at the store and i got it for a couple of quid. When i asked what it was the shop keep advised that he didnt know.

I bet one of you guys knows though!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60549434@N06/5520830987/

If it helps the stripes completely dissapear when scared. and it is very thin (similar thickness to a butti of similar size)

(i tried this post in the new worlds but was told its african.....any help would be greatly appreciated!)

a really nice person on the other board managed to post the picture from the link directly onto the board.......i am not sure how to do this any one know?

a really nice person on the other board managed to post the picture from the link directly onto the board.......i am not sure how to do this any one know?

I am not too sure about the fish however I do know how to have the picture showing on the thread. When posting a thread/response there is a little symbol that can be found 2 icons to the right hand side of the smiley face icon. When clicked it will ask for the URL of the picture, therefore you simply copy and paste the internet page which hosts your image and then click okay. The image will then appear properly in the post, hope this helps!

I am not too sure about the fish however I do know how to have the picture showing on the thread. When posting a thread/response there is a little symbol that can be found 2 icons to the right hand side of the smiley face icon. When clicked it will ask for the URL of the picture, therefore you simply copy and paste the internet page which hosts your image and then click okay. The image will then appear properly in the post, hope this helps!
I hope you don't mind but i've posted the pic on a forum that deals mainly with African cichlids, hopefully we can get an id for you :good:

I wanted to say tilapia joka but completely wrong markings... :S

Gorgeous fish though!!! Gonna get biiiiig i expect tho!

I've been looking at photos of tilapia for so long that now i come back to look at it... i havent seen any kinda tilapia like that?? Im not sure its face is the right shape either...

Elise that is great thanks.

whenever i try to put the url in the image it just says i am not allowed to use the image extension on this board! what am i doing wrong aqua?

I wanted to say tilapia joka but completely wrong markings... :S

Gorgeous fish though!!! Gonna get biiiiig i expect tho!

I've been looking at photos of tilapia for so long that now i come back to look at it... i havent seen any kinda tilapia like that?? Im not sure its face is the right shape either...

Haha i have been there too......i thought tilapia when i bought it. but again the shape just isnt quite right...... i know it shouldnt bother me, but i have to know exactly what i have in there!

Elise that is great thanks.

whenever i try to put the url in the image it just says i am not allowed to use the image extension on this board! what am i doing wrong aqua?

The only thing I can think is that the image is the in the wrong format, generally I make sure all my images are JPegs and go from there. As long as the image is not too big in size and a recognised format then the URL link should work fine. Also make sure the link goes straight to the host (i.e. flickr, photobucket etc.)

Well so far only one attempt at id'ing your fish........Tilapia Mariae, apparently the bars will fade leaving the dark spots on the flanks.These fish grow fast and reach a size of 12",so would be careful with what it is housed with.

:unsure:

Well so far only one attempt at id'ing your fish........Tilapia Mariae, apparently the bars will fade leaving the dark spots on the flanks.These fish grow fast and reach a size of 12",so would be careful with what it is housed with.

:unsure:

yep that looks to be correct (although each picture on google looks like a different fish to me).

stripey (name seems innappropriate now that i know they are only temporary) is in a 5ft tank so should be fine! Thanks everyone for the help.

elisew whats the other website so i can expand my horizons!

thanks

My Tilapia Mariae didnt look anything like that as a baby :S

She is a big beastie now and for a tilapia, pretty docile! Took some big mean fish to make her sort her priorities out though LOL

My Tilapia Mariae didnt look anything like that as a baby :S

She is a big beastie now and for a tilapia, pretty docile! Took some big mean fish to make her sort her priorities out though LOL

I did question the id because of the stripes/spots difference but apparently the stripes will fade more as the spots develop. I wasn't going to question it too much as people on the other forum know an awful lot more than I do about the Africans :unsure:

I guess so many different strains of fish are coming through the stores now and it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not you get a specified breed of fish :crazy:

Most reactions

Back