Ideas?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SaFyQ448

Reaction score
So I finally rehomed my 2 electric blue acaras. I’m planning to add plants back to my 37 gallon tank. I’ve got 4 Cory’s and 3 bristlenose. I got them from the person who sold me the tank.
I’m looking for peaceful kinda small fish to add. Like 2ish inches? What do I add?

The first thing you should do is add more corydoras. In order for corydoras to be happy they must be in shoals of 5 or 6. Some fish recommendations are: A school of any tetra (neons are my fav) and honey gouramis (make sure you get at least 2). These are some of my favorites!

Definitely agree with adding more cories, I kept too few myself when I didn't know they needed larger groups and it definitely negatively impacted their behaviour.

You could also add pygmy cories, they're tiny but that also means you can have quite a large shoal, and they like hanging round with larger cories too.

(I may be biased as I clearly love cories haha).

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Most reactions

Back