Ideas On Fish To Get?

quickbricky

Reaction score
i was wondering if you could give me some ideas of fish i could get to mix with tiger barbs? and fish to avoid? tanks for any help guys

I think we'll need a few details about your tank before we can suggest any fish for you! Tank dimensions, water test results, how old is the tank, how was it cycled, what is currently in it etc.

Well without all that info, a general answer... any fish too slow to get away from the barbs are bad ideas to get.
From what I understand and have read, tiger barbs can get pretty aggressive and nippy. So fish that can get away and fish that don't have long fins that are easily nipped.
I'm sure people who are more experienced with the fish.. specially with keeping them with other tankmates will come along and help more :)

at the moment there is 5 tiger barb in there. its a 33 gallon tank. and was cycled without fish just the filter and water changes. water results are ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 , nitrate 10 ph 7,2 does that help?

small fast fish would work good, i'd go with tetras maybe 6-10 of any variety and maybe 1 or 2 more barbs. I'd stay away from platy or other slow moving tropicals.

I would add other cyprinids, some examples could be:

a small shoal of Danios, (either Leopard or Zebras)
a small shoal of cherry barbs or gold barbs
a pair of flying fox
2 or 3 smaller botias

other ideas may be

2 kribensis (ideally both male to reduce aggression)
Larger Tetras (i.e. buenos airies, serpae, red-eyed, etc)
a pair of Brislenose or bulldog plecs

Most reactions

Back