Idea for my 75 gallon

KuhliDude

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon aquarium, currently only has a few tiny plants but I do plan to get many more.

For stocking I have
5 glo tetras
2 dojo loaches
6 giant danios
1 three spot gourami ( female)
2 Senegal bichirs

I was hoping to get 4 more giant danios, 1 more gourami, a rainbow shark. And If I can find one a peacock eel. Does anyone think that's ok or is it a little overstocked?

Attachments

• PXL_20221229_160954313.jpg
    PXL_20221229_160954313.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 24
You have a 16 inch predator that can eat 8 inch fish in there. I know they are smaller now. They won't always be, unless you are careless and kill those two Senegals. Always assume a fish will survive and grow - we don't get pets to kill them half grown. The old "but I plan a bigger/second tank" line is a tired line. People say it and rarely do it. It's easier to let their pets die.

The bichirs hope you go shopping, so they can eat all their tankmates. They are patient. Their time will come.

A rainbow shark? They will hate it, and it will hate them. It's a nasty fish that attacks all tankmates, at night. The peacock eel will have a hard time in your set up, as it's a slow, quiet feeder that will lose out to the bichirs in most cases.

When you buy even one future large fish like a senegal bichir, you have filled your tank. Monster fish are cool, but they tie your hands.

I believe that the Senegal bichirs that gets very large is the kind from lake turkana, these bichirs do get very big but are also extremely rare and expensive.

But thanks for the heads up I'll do some more research and keep the bichirs well fed so they don't turn their tank mates into snacks.

I'll ... keep the bichirs well fed so they don't turn their tank mates into snacks.

This is not how it works, usually. A large (even if it is only a 12-inch species, it is still very large and two large for this small a tank regardless) predator is not going to ignore tankmates that it is programmed to consider food just because you feed it fish food. A predator is a predator, and within the terribly small confines of a 4-foot aquarium the stress this causes such a fish can set it off without warning. This is a biological fact.

Keeping any gourami in with the other fish mentioned, and I am referring to all of them, is inhumane. Gourami are quiet, sedate fish; even this particular species which is the most aggressive of the small and medium-sized species, is not compatible with the danios, glofish, or the larger predators. Please do not get more, this is not the way to go.

I do agree that all else being equal (it is not, obviously), increasing the shoals of the danios and glofish would be best for the fish, but this would not be advisable given the other issues.

This is not how it works, usually. A large (even if it is only a 12-inch species, it is still very large and two large for this small a tank regardless) predator is not going to ignore tankmates that it is programmed to consider food just because you feed it fish food. A predator is a predator, and within the terribly small confines of a 4-foot aquarium the stress this causes such a fish can set it off without warning. This is a biological fact.

Keeping any gourami in with the other fish mentioned, and I am referring to all of them, is inhumane. Gourami are quiet, sedate fish; even this particular species which is the most aggressive of the small and medium-sized species, is not compatible with the danios, glofish, or the larger predators. Please do not get more, this is not the way to go.

I do agree that all else being equal (it is not, obviously), increasing the shoals of the danios and glofish would be best for the fish, but this would not be advisable given the other issues.
A well fed cat will still kill mice or birds.

Cats are not fish. But the reason I think it could work is because I have seen it been done before.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium, currently only has a few tiny plants but I do plan to get many more.

For stocking I have
5 glo tetras
2 dojo loaches
6 giant danios
1 three spot gourami ( female)
2 Senegal bichirs

I was hoping to get 4 more giant danios, 1 more gourami, a rainbow shark. And If I can find one a peacock eel. Does anyone think that's ok or is it a little overstocked?
I agree that this is unideal. If you have a standard 75 it's only 4 feet long. Assuming your bichirs only get a foot long (which may or may not be the reality) that's only 4 times their length. Not nearly enough room

If I were you I'd pick one-two things on the list and focus on that. You could have a beautiful community tank with tetras and gourami. But you'll really have to get rid of the aggressors if you want those fish. Rainbow sharks are just mean.

Most reactions

Back