Id This Plec For Me Please?

wilchil64

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just bought this plec and wondered if someone could ID it for me?

Sorry about the quality of photo, had just put him in and now he's scooted off under the bogwood! I'll try and get more later.

Thanks very much.

plec_1.JPG

I could be totally wrong, and I usually am when Id'ing plecos, but it looks like L002 (Tiger Pleco).

It maybe a L134 leopard frog (Peckoltia sp.) aka imperial tiger, Tiger-skin Pleco, Tiger Pleco

Family: Loricariidae
Subfamily: Ancistrinae

Distribution: Pimental at the Rio Tapajós, Pará, Brazil
Length: 4.4"
Water Temperature: 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit (25-30 degrees Celsius)
Diet: They are omnivorous and would prefer meaty foods, but do need a vegetable component to their diet as well.
Water Chemistry: They would prefer soft water but are easily acclimated to a wide variety of hardnesses.
pH: 6-7.4
Lifespan: 5-10 years

As it looks a lot like mine

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

Well, instead of just being rude, perhaps you could try to educate me as to the differences so that I might be able to better differentiate between the two in the future.

It maybe a L134 leopard frog aka imperial tiger

As it looks a lot like mine

L134 was also my first thought.

better pics please if possible

Thanks, all, for trying to identify him, I'll try and get better pics but at the moment he's hidden away in bogwood.

I bought him yesterday but he didn't want to be caught then so I went back for him when the owner of the LFS caught him this morning. He'd just been brought in by someone who'd given up his aquarium so hadn't been properly ID'd by the LFS, but I just thought he was so fab!

Well, instead of just being rude, perhaps you could try to educate me as to the differences so that I might be able to better differentiate between the two in the future.
L002's are a completely different colour. Google images will answer that.

better pics please if possible

This photo is a little better, still can't get a full frontal of him/her but will keep trying.

Having read a little about L134, I'm wondering if it may be a female, as she has quite a round little belly! Well fed, the guy in the LFS called her!

Definitely different colour to L002, I'd say.

This photo is a little better, still can't get a full frontal of him/her but will keep trying.

And here is the actual photo ! (that's what comes of doing several things at the same time, like surfing and cooking!

plec_3.JPG

plec_4.JPG

looks to me like a L134 mines only a juvi at 2-2 3/4"

nice looking plec anyway

meh manners are free mike, tbh, you may think not, but at least two people think you was abrupt and rude :/

So what if you know more about plecs than somebody else, no need to be brash and caustic about it :(

In anycase its true that L002 and L134 are a different color form, but all L002 specimens i have seen have solid stripes whereas L134 stripes frequently break up into spots as you can see in wilchil64 last two photographs.

Also in L002 specimens you will notice a fine "bristles" growing from its armor plates that runs along the whole of the animals sides where as L134 does not.

AND a personal bug bear when people say "omg different colors" is this, a lot of plecs have regional color variants I have seen L134s that are a nice shade of yellow, cream and even an almost white specimen! It means that basing your answer on just a color alone is not enough, i own a silver and black clown loach, does it mean shes not a clown coz shes not orange and black?

for the rest of the readers, sorry about the grumble :D

meh manners are free mike, tbh, you may think not, but at least two people think you was abrupt and rude :/

That's their opinion and they are entitled to it, however it really doesn't matter to me.

In anycase its true that L002 and L134 are a different color form, but all L002 specimens i have seen have solid stripes whereas L134 stripes frequently break up into spots as you can see in wilchil64 last two photographs.

No they are not different colour forms like L46 and L98, they are different species that are not even in the same genus.

AND a personal bug bear when people say "omg different colors" is this, a lot of plecs have regional color variants I have seen L134s that are a nice shade of yellow, cream and even an almost white specimen! It means that basing your answer on just a color alone is not enough, i own a silver and black clown loach, does it mean shes not a clown coz shes not orange and black?

Is that directed at me?

I would take a look at www.planetcatfish.com.

Also Xingumike: I too think that you were being a bit rude there. There is such a word as politeness in this world, look it up. :)

Most reactions

Back