ID this creature

heresmike

Fish Addict
Reaction score
The little guy in the picture below came home with me from the fish store in a bag of fish. At first, he was sitting on top of the head of one of the fish, and I thought the fish had a bump or was deformed. Then, as I was netting the fish out of the bag, the "bump" swam away and attached itself to the inside of the bag.

What is this??

It's very small (< 2mm), flat and round, transparent, has eyes and a tail, and you can see its little side fins flapping when it swims. It swims horizontally, like a stingray would.

Any ideas what this is?

Attachments

• xyz.gif
    xyz.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 43
heresmike said:
It's very small (< 2mm), flat and round, transparent, has eyes and a tail, and you can see its little side fins flapping when it swims. It swims horizontally, like a stingray would.

Any ideas what this is?
i looked at the pic before I read your post and my first thought was fry from some type of ray??

Have no clue about them though...was just guessing by the shape of it! -_-

steve

it looks like one of those little annoying snails that eats all your plants and breeds like rabbits!:p

Most likely it's a fish louse and should be removed immediately. Also check your fish for others.
argulus.jpg

SirMinion said:
Most likely it's a fish louse and should be removed immediately. Also check your fish for others.
argulus.jpg
I actually didn't put it in the tank... it's in a glass of water right now for further observation. Also, I put the fish into a quarantine so none of my other fish are in danger.

Possibly the one I have is a baby and would someday grow up to look the one in your pic.

Thanks.

I would agree that it looks like a argulus fish louse, a quick dip in a salt bath should clear any others from the fish.

CFC said:
I would agree that it looks like a argulus fish louse, a quick dip in a salt bath should clear any others from the fish.
What ratio of salt to water would you recommend, and for how long? Never had to do that before! Thanks

As long as the fish are not salt intollerent then a dose of 5 grams of salt in a litre of water will be fine, bathe the fish for no more than 10 minutes and watch them closely the whole time for signs of stress, if they start to look stressed move them back to FW immiedietly.

Most reactions

Back