Id Shrimp Please

scampi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could anyone id this shrimp please?

I called in to my local LFS to buy 4 Amano shrimp. Whilst he was catching them he stated that there were different varieties & would I like an unusual one. He didn't know what it was :rolleyes: .

It's the size of Amano, but not transparent. Is a lovely shade of blue with black or dark coloured markings. Tonight it's hanging onto a plant in quite a strong current using 4 little fans to catch food.

I thought it may be a blue tiger shrimp but looking at them on google they don't seem to have fans :unsure: ?? I'm new to shrimp keeping so any help would be appreciated.

I also bought a rock shrimp whilst I was there. Bizarre creatures but fascinating.

Thanks

Could anyone id this shrimp please?

I called in to my local LFS to buy 4 Amano shrimp. Whilst he was catching them he stated that there were different varieties & would I like an unusual one. He didn't know what it was :rolleyes: .

It's the size of Amano, but not transparent. Is a lovely shade of blue with black or dark coloured markings. Tonight it's hanging onto a plant in quite a strong current using 4 little fans to catch food.

I thought it may be a blue tiger shrimp but looking at them on google they don't seem to have fans :unsure: ?? I'm new to shrimp keeping so any help would be appreciated.

I also bought a rock shrimp whilst I was there. Bizarre creatures but fascinating.

Thanks

It's a Bamboo Shrimp. They will hang out by the strongest current as that is how they obtain their food, grabbing fine particulate matter from the water. If you feel like it's not getting enough food, crush up some spirulina flake and swish it in the water. You will know if it's hungry because it will be crawling around on the ground, looking for food, instead of just filtering in the current. The Bamboo shrimp is one of my favourites and will change colour depending on the substrate or back round it's on. The colours range from tan to blue-ish to orange and even red! Enjoy your new friend.

Most reactions

Back