id on this cichlid please

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Heres my new little dwarf cichlid, it measures barely 2 inches and I know he's older than 8 months
Can you guys please give me the technical name and even better the sex of it?
I know my pictures are terrible, but it has an olive green tone with dark gray stripes and blue specks on his body with blue on his finnage tips
Thanks~

Attachments

• tank55.jpg
    tank55.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 52
Ok, I took one of him during the day and I think it came out better (little bit)

Attachments

• tankpic78.jpg
    tankpic78.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 52
I think he's absolutely beautiful and if I could have an entire community of them I would, I'm told a breeding pair was going for $200 :eek:
I got him for a steal but I would gladly fork over the cash to find him a friend :wub:
In case it helps any, his blue specks are really uniform dots all over his body on top of the stripes

wuv,

That is either...Altolamprologus calvus "black" or Altolamprologus compressiceps "black". There are several locations in Lake Tanganyika where these are collected from so I would be hard to pinpoint the exact one without seeing a close up of the fish.

If you were told a pair goes for $200.00 I would veture a guess it is probably A. calvus "black Congo"!! These are the blackest of the black calvus variety.

The price tag of $200.00 is way high as I had a guaranteed breeding pair awhile back for $100.00!!I get these in all the time, but they are small....usually 1" or so.

Males can be distinguished from females by a higher body structure and longer more pointed dorsal fin.

Please consider setting up a Tanganyikan tank only and not doing a missmash of fish as tankmates!!!!!

Tanganyikans are specialized fish and should be treated as such.

If you would like some tips or suggestions on tankmates I would be pleased to help.

CM

Most reactions

Back