Ick/Fungus

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlackWolf0503

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it water born or does it have to come in with a Fish? I just had a Fatality. Went to work to feed & Albino Barb dead on the downtube :( He white Spikey stuff on his eyes, fins, & Tail. Took him to the LFS & They said it wasn't Ick but another fungus. :sick: None of the others are showing any signs at all. Just wondering how it's transsmitted. Thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that ick is almost always present, but in such low levels, that it isn't a problem for healthy fish. However, poor water conditions, and/or stressed fish, i.e. fish with a debilitated immune system, will create an imbalance in the tank/fish that allows Ick to become rampant.

I'm sure there's a more scientific way to explain it, but I read on another thread that Ick is similar to lyce on school kids :D

cheirodon said:
I'm sure there's a more scientific way to explain it, but I read on another thread that Ick is similar to lyce on school kids :D
Yeah, except fish won't keep still for you to comb them :lol:

Ich in fish is actually more like shingles in humans - you know, that virus you can get years after you've had chicken pox, that causes a painful rash when you're a bit run-down. Ich is probably one of those organisms that is harmless in small quantities and is kept in check by the fish's immune system and the beneficial bacteria in the tank, but when something upsets the balance (either the fish gets a bit below par or the beneficial bacteria die off) then the ich has a sudden population explosion and infests the tank.

Yes, exactly. Ich is a parasite that floats around all aquarium water all the time. When the conditions are right it will 'breed' and attack fish. Usually the temp has to be low, the water has to be dirty and the fish have to have lost their strees coat and be under stress to be suspible to the parasite.
Ron

Most reactions

Back