Ice Cubes

Thirdfloor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it ok to toss a handful of ice cubes in my tank to cool it down a couple degrees? :unsure: (ice cubes made with dechlorinated water. of course) :good:
I've read on a couple sites that its a good way to simulate rainfall and encourage breeding with certain species of fish. :fish:

I tried to search the forums before posting, since I figure others have asked the same question before, but it returned an error message both times :crazy:

I wouldn't put the ice cubes directly in the water, but in a bag. I think it would stress a fish out if a ice cube bumped into it. I haven't heard anything about ice cubes encouraging breeding, but water changes with slightly cooler water are suppose to encourage corys to breed.

Yah, the search is broken :sad: .

I've done it before a long time ago with goldfish in a summer pond. It worked quite well and the fish were fine. Now, as far as tropical fish go, I don't have personal experience with it. It seems like it would be fine, but you never know.

God Bless,
Joshua

I have used ice cubes before to cool down temperatures. However it doesn't take much usually, so be careful when adding the ice cubes.

So to much can do damage.

I'd play safe and pop them in a bag first :D Then you don't even have to use dechlorinated water (as long as the bag is very securely sealed).

I'd play safe and pop them in a bag first :D Then you don't even have to use dechlorinated water (as long as the bag is very securely sealed).

Never something I ever have to worry about, because I've lived my entire life with well water :lol:. So it's never really anything I think about or consider.

God Bless,
Joshua

If you have a filter that hangs on the back...

You can get those small refreezable chillers and slip in the filter. That is what I do. I have also put the medium size ones in a bag and floated on top.

I did the ice cubes with no problems, but I have found this to cool better putting the pacs in the filter. Then when you get through you just stick it back in the freezer until you need it again. I keep 2 so I can swap them out when needed without having to wait for one to refreeze. The packs cool a little slower in the filter, but it appears to be much less stressful for the fish. Just make sure you always check carefully for leaks each time you use them. :good:

They make chiller packs that are very small... they also make plastic refreezable ice cubes that would work great. Some of them look really cool too. (if you were going to float them in the tank...)

I don't think that sounds like a very good idea at all. If you want to cool the tank, why not just do an ordinary water change using slightly cooler water? Dilution of the chemicals in the water is also a part of the process to stimulate spawning, at least with corys.

What species of fish are you thinking about? I don't know of any that regularly have chunks of ice fall into their natural habitat before they spawn. :huh:

I just did a test and it's very effective to float a small bag of ice in your filter canister and let it run for awhile. It took the temp down in my 55 gallon tank 2 degrees, and it was just one sandwhich bag of ice.

God Bless,
Joshua

Never something I ever have to worry about, because I've lived my entire life with well water :lol:. So it's never really anything I think about or consider.

God Bless,
Joshua
Popping the ice cubes in a bag is more to protect the fish from coming up against ice directly onto their 'skin' :)

Just out of interest, what are your well water parameters? (I'm just jealous is all as London water is packed full of all sorts of chemicals etc) :lol:

My current well water parameters PH hits around 6.5 - 7. I don't check it often to be completely honest, I just know that all the other water levels tested out fine, or close to it. I don't like my well water here as much as the water in Oregon.

God Bless,
Joshua

ice shouldn't be a problem as I never defrost my frozen food before putting it in the tank i just throw it in as a solid lump frozen and the fish pick at it will no ill effects from the cold.

I wouldn't put ice cubes straight into a tank.
When I've had to reduce the temp in the tank, I've frozen 2ltr coke bottles full of water and then put them into the tank...

my bettas love when I throw a small ice cube in the tank.... flare ect at it the one even will lie on top of the ice cube for a few seconds at a time and my tanks are only kept at well room temp lol so 22 degrees lol ..... Its never hurt any of my fish but I normall just have my bettas or well thats what I have had for the past year but the Piranhas that I had loved it too so

Most reactions

Back