I Wonder

livebearers or egglayers

• livebearers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • egglayers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Personally I find live bearers breed far too easily. And as such many are incredibly incredibly inbred. I've had several mollies which died within weeks of me owning them, and not due to my water. Due to becoming pregnant and having complications because of being so inbred.

It's much more of an achievement raising fry from eggs than from live bearers.

I'm torn b/c I love livebearers, but angelfish are my absolute favorite fish to raise. I wish I could vote both.

my fish lay eggs so im ganna say eggs for me plz (and some toast mmmmm) lol

I always think it's more exciting if you get egglayers to breed because as a general rule they are harder to breed so t feels like more of an acheivement.
Having said that, livebearers are good fun simply from the point of view that you buy 2 fish from you LFS and 3 weeks later your tank is full of babies :lol:

Henson, only the livebearers in the typical fish shop are all that easy. Try breeding Belonesox, Skiffias or even Brachyrhaphis and you will retreat to breeding something simple like convicts or rainbow cichlids.

I agree with oldman
. most people on this forum keep a few pet shop livebearers and seem to think there all easy fish to keep and breed.

Belonesox need live foods to keep them alive , most of the Brachyrhaphis will eat there fry almost as fast as they can drop them. And the Skiffias will suffer and die if kept to warm and do not breed as regularly as common livebearers

I have bred guppies, platies and mollies. But I have also got a breeding group of corys. So I probably prefer livebearers as all the fry come in different forms.

I like breeding swordtail, they seem alittle more challenging than mollies or guppies.

storm20 ive kept swordtails and its more of an challenge to keep them alive

So far all of my livebearers have given me fry, when I was trying to save fry, except my Brachyrhaphis roseni. I just got mine about a month ago and don't have a tank set up to save their fry yet. I will probably go with java moss, a few killie mops, a coarse substrate, like marbles and maybe even a tank divider to save a few fry. These fish are some of the toughest to breed when it comes to adults eating fry. So far all of my other livebearers had been producing fry just by providing the right conditions for the adults to feel secure and providing some cover in the form of java moss for the fry.

Most reactions

Back