I Wish To Make Something, Advice Needed

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CezzaXV

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently got a second hand Fluval 305, with upgraded Eheim piping. I much prefer having the straight piping than grooved, but the trouble is that it is green and stands out a lot against my black background. My tank is very tall, so there is no chance of hiding the piping behind plants.

In an idea world, I'd be able to make some kind of black plastic box to hide the piping (along with my heater cable), but I have no idea what of whether there's a certain type of plastic I'd have to use. It may be that if I went to a hardware store that I'd be able to find something already made and appropriate in the guttering section, but I need to know what's safe for aquarium use.

Advice?

1) Search online for Kyrlon Fusion black spray paint.
2) Buy some.
3) Spray your bits that you want black.
4) Allow to dry for 24hrs.
5) Replace.
6) Admire you're black, hidden pipework.

It's aquarium safe, cheap and easy to apply :)

If you're set on pipework, most materials that are fine for drinking water are equally fine for aquariums, at least when you're talking about plastics anyway. So ABS, PVC etc are all good.

Acylic/Perspex are, given that some tanks are made out of them, also good.

I have replaced the Juwel box in my Trigon with square black drainpipe to house the durso pipe. Just remember if you're planning on 'hiding' the heater it needs good flow around it and away from the thermostat at the top and the filter pipe will need to be able to draw adequately from the tank.

I was only planning on hiding the heater cable, not necessarily the heater. Might as well hide it since it's so close to the filter piping.

I really like the idea of painting the pipework actually - it would be just as good. Only trouble is that the tank would have to be without a filter for 24 hours if that's how long it takes to dry.

You could always stick the strainer on the end of the hose and hold it in place while painting the pipe or paint a pipe of slightly larger diameter than the pipe, let it dry and slide it over with the cable inside as well if needed. Then paint the strainer end separately, temporarily replacing it with a piece of sponge.

The filter outlet is easier as it can be removed and painted while the tube is just held in place somehow.

Well if you have a air stone or powerhead IMO i think the tank would be alright for 24 hours without a filter if you ran theairstone/power head should create enought disturbance to put oxygen into water. But some 1 might know better than I.

Most reactions

Back