I want to breed apistos and need some help.

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I just went to a lfs and they had Apistogramma cacatuoides double red. They are selling a pair for $40. I would like to breed them. My ph is around 7.8 usually and and Hard ish water. Can I breed them? I have a 20 high community tank but it has a kribensis. I also have an empty 10 gallon but it’s obviously not cycled but I have plenty of cycled media and a seeded sponge filter. What should I do?

Ideally you want a 2' tank for a pair. You do need soft acidic water. Your best bet would be to use pure RO with no additives. They are very sensitive to poor water quality so make sure the tank / filter is mature.

Ideally you want a 2' tank for a pair. You do need soft acidic water. Your best bet would be to use pure RO with no additives. They are very sensitive to poor water quality so make sure the tank / filter is mature.
Ok. I thought I read that they can live in neutral waters. I tried rams but they didn’t work. Apistos sounded like a better option for me

Ok. I thought I read that they can live in neutral waters. I tried rams but they didn’t work. Apistos sounded like a better option for me
They can. They will even spawn, but the eggs are unlikely to hatch. I'm in the process of setting up an apisto breeding tank so been doing a lot of reading on them. A.cacatuoides seem to be the best bet if your water is not soft and acidic, but if they are wild caught I would not risk it in your water.

They can. They will even spawn, but the eggs are unlikely to hatch. I'm in the process of setting up an apisto breeding tank so been doing a lot of reading on them. A.cacatuoides seem to be the best bet if your water is not soft and acidic, but if they are wild caught I would not risk it in your water.
Ok thanks. I will ask. So my main question now since they are expensive, will they survive in my water? At least last until I can get the ph and hardness down for them to breed.

Ok thanks. I will ask. So my main question now since they are expensive, will they survive in my water? At least last until I can get the ph and hardness down for them to breed.
They may survive... I honestly wouldn’t get them now, if your pH isn’t perfect. They can go into osmotic shock. That, just may kill them.

I used to breed Apistogramma cacatuoides in a 2 foot tank. There was a thin layer of brown gravel on the bottom, a corner air operated sponge filter, heater and some floating plants. I used a clay flower pot cut in half to create a cave for them.

The pH was around 7.6-8.0, GH around 100ppm. Temperature between 24-30C, depending on time of year.

The fish were fed 3-5 times a day with dry, frozen and live foods.

I never had a problem with them breeding and they used to produce a batch of young every month. In alkaline water (pH above 7.0) you get more male offspring. When I had a pH around 8.0 I was getting 90% male babies, which was great because they are more colourful and what the shops wanted.

If your GH is under 150ppm they will be fine and breed.

I used to breed Apistogramma cacatuoides in a 2 foot tank. There was a thin layer of brown gravel on the bottom, a corner air operated sponge filter, heater and some floating plants. I used a clay flower pot cut in half to create a cave for them.

The pH was around 7.6-8.0, GH around 100ppm. Temperature between 24-30C, depending on time of year.

The fish were fed 3-5 times a day with dry, frozen and live foods.

I never had a problem with them breeding and they used to produce a batch of young every month. In alkaline water (pH above 7.0) you get more male offspring. When I had a pH around 8.0 I was getting 90% male babies, which was great because they are more colourful and what the shops wanted.

If your GH is under 150ppm they will be fine and breed.
Thanks! I don’t know my Gh and I need to get a test kit ASAP. I just bought a trio a few hours ago and they are currently on there final 30 minutes of a 2 hour drip acclimation. Also, the lfs said if we get them to breed they will buy them!

Don't bother buying a GH test kit unless you want to. The GH doesn't normally change much and you can get a pet shop to test it for you every 6 months. Just take a glass full of tap water into the pet shop and get them to do a GH test on it. Write the results down in numbers when they do it, and find out what the test is measured in (eg: ppm or dGH).

Don't bother buying a GH test kit unless you want to. The GH doesn't normally change much and you can get a pet shop to test it for you every 6 months. Just take a glass full of tap water into the pet shop and get them to do a GH test on it. Write the results down in numbers when they do it, and find out what the test is measured in (eg: ppm or dGH).
Ok thanks. I will do that soon for all of my tanks. How easy is it to breed them?

Just put them in a tank and feed them well. They will do the rest.

Unless the tank is a reasonable size 30 inches or longer, having 2 females could be an issue when they breed. You will have to monitor them for aggression during breeding.

Just put them in a tank and feed them well. They will do the rest.

Unless the tank is a reasonable size 30 inches or longer, having 2 females could be an issue when they breed. You will have to monitor them for aggression during breeding.
Ok thanks.

Yes, no need for a test kit to test your GH.

Call, or visit your local water providers. The pH, GH, and KH are usually on the monthly water report.

Most reactions

Back