I think the impossible happened in my aquarium...

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
...well maybe not impossible but very unlikely. I thought I spotted this before but then I saw it again during a water change yesterday. I saw a tiny pygmy cory about half the size of the others. It's very shy and hid as soon as I spotted it. Could it be a surviving fry? I never thought that would happen with the honey gourami and neon tetras in there ready to eat any eggs or fry. Is it possible that some eggs were able to survive and the fry were able to make it? I have leaf litter in there so they could have fed on infusoria. It's heavily planted so there are hiding places.

I'm trying to get a picture of the little guys. But by the time I grab my phone, they disappear. It feels like they're more likely to take a picture of me than I am of getting one of them.

...well maybe not impossible but very unlikely. I thought I spotted this before but then I saw it again during a water change yesterday. I saw a tiny pygmy cory about half the size of the others. It's very shy and hid as soon as I spotted it. Could it be a surviving fry? I never thought that would happen with the honey gourami and neon tetras in there ready to eat any eggs or fry. Is it possible that some eggs were able to survive and the fry were able to make it? I have leaf litter in there so they could have fed on infusoria. It's heavily planted so there are hiding places.
Hello shark. If you feed your fish enough, the adults will show little interest in the eggs or the fry. If you can figure out how much your fish will eat in a few minutes and add a bit to that amount, the fish will always feel satisfied and you'll get a high survival rate of fry and eggs.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

A spawning pair of Corydoras place each egg individually on a surface. Most will get eaten by almost any fish. Neon tetra certainly. The pygmy cory is said to be better at not eating its own eggs. Any egg that does get placed in a more secluded spot by the spawning pair stands a much better chance of surviving and hatching. The fry have an even better chance at survival because they can escape under chunks of wood, leaves, etc. The dried leaves is a very good thing, this infusoria they produce is the best first food and fry are known to grow better with it.

The baby is swimming in the open more. And joining the adults in feeding in the sand. It's hard to get a good pic bc my corys hide when I suddenly approach the tank.

Last edited:
my trilineatus have a baby once in awhile, never see the eggs

Finally got a pic. Not great quality but this little guy is tough to take a picture of. If I move too close to the tank, it swims and hides like the other pygmys. I tried using my webcam but it can be hard to get the cam in the right position with the remote control.

20230821_211136.jpg

If you have a HOB filter with an intake tube, you might want to dump your filter into a bucket to make sure there aren't any fry in there. When I had cories I ended up with fry on a reasonably regular basis. While most of the eggs were cheerily consumed by the other fish, there were some that would make it. I had to put a sponge over my HOB filter intake tube because the fry were getting sucked up into that.

If you have a HOB filter with an intake tube, you might want to dump your filter into a bucket to make sure there aren't any fry in there. When I had cories I ended up with fry on a reasonably regular basis. While most of the eggs were cheerily consumed by the other fish, there were some that would make it. I had to put a sponge over my HOB filter intake tube because the fry were getting sucked up into that.
I've always put a sponge over the intake. Nothing to do with fry. I just like to keep the big particles out of the filter. And it's like having a little sponge filter in addition to the HOB.

Most reactions

Back