I Think Imay Have A Cross Bred Guppy!

Knox213

"A Coup D'tat"
Reaction score
I Was inspecting my tank today

(Got bored)

And i looked at my black fancy guppy

he's tails black

and his other half of his body looks like a Japanese guppy?

Something like that..

Will try get a picture ( I Hope )

Will upload asap!

Guppies are all the same species - or P. reticulata hybrids, in some cases - so all colour morphs will cross breed. They will also breed with some other species, mainly Endlers.

Breeding a P reticulata with another P reticulata of any color is a cross in the sense that you are crossing different color producing genes and are not certain of the outcome to expect. It is done all the time to develop new color or fin shape strains. That is not the same as a hybrid where two distinct species are crossed, like the platies and swords have had done to develop all the fin and color variations that we see today. The resulting fish are not only crosses but hybrids of two or more species.

Breeding a P reticulata with another P reticulata of any color is a cross in the sense that you are crossing different color producing genes and are not certain of the outcome to expect. It is done all the time to develop new color or fin shape strains. That is not the same as a hybrid where two distinct species are crossed, like the platies and swords have had done to develop all the fin and color variations that we see today. The resulting fish are not only crosses but hybrids of two or more species.
Now im confused :crazy:

Hybrid=2 different species crossed (eg guppy and molly cross or platy and swordtail cross)

Colour Mix=2 different strains or colours crossed (eg blue guppy crossed with red guppy = a bluey/red batch of fry)

Yours sounds like a colour mix (Japanese strain crossed with black strain) to produce a half Japanese half black guppy

Hopefully thats (sort of) cleared things up a bit ;)

Hybrid=2 different species crossed (eg guppy and molly cross or platy and swordtail cross)

Colour Mix=2 different strains or colours crossed (eg blue guppy crossed with red guppy = a bluey/red batch of fry)

Yours sounds like a colour mix (Japanese strain crossed with black strain) to produce a half Japanese half black guppy

Yep.
it has :)

Yep.

good lol :good:
Good Luck ;)

Yep.

good lol :good:
Good Luck ;)
thanks ^^

Most reactions

Back