I Require Assisstance

hivedragon

Reaction score
I was planning on getting some columbian sharks however they would require more space than I could give them. I love their look and how active they are and I like that they are preditory. Does anyone have any sugestions for a fish like columbian sharks but only requires about a 3'x2'x2' tank and are relitively easy to care for? Photos of the fish and links to where I can order them would be apreciated.

I tend to agree that sharks would be better suited in a longer aquarium. Giant danios wouldn't be a bad choice. They are 4" long. They are extremely active and prefer to be kept in groups. They are good swimmers and would be fun to watch. There are some others that might interest you as well. Rainbowfish are brilliantly colored and would be very happy in a 3 foot tank, I believe.

These are commonly available fish. If they are not at your LFS, you could try liveaquaria.com (in the U.S.)

A Friend had a Bala Shark in a two foot tank for around 4 years, it never got to big, and never grew that much, It depends what you feed, how much you feed, where you get it from and how big it is orginally, I wouldn't say you should rule out all sharks in your 3ft tank.

Your friend's Bala never got too big because it's growth was stunted from living in a tank too small for it. A 14 inch fish in a 24 inch tank is cruel, and if there were other fish with it, it's even worse.

A Friend had a Bala Shark in a two foot tank for around 4 years, it never got to big, and never grew that much, It depends what you feed, how much you feed, where you get it from and how big it is orginally, I wouldn't say you should rule out all sharks in your 3ft tank.

That friend must have been very misinformed. Bala sharks grow to be 2ft long (ish) and are VERY active swimmers. They are also shoaling fish and need to be in groups of 5-6 to be happy. They need very long tanks to be able to swim the way they naturally swim i.e very very fast..

It's not just that it is a 14" fish, it is also a 14" fish that is an active swimmer. That's like keeping a great dane in a studio apartment.

Can understand your point, but people take the whole grows to such a size too seriously, for an example a clown loach can grown upto 40cm, I've never seen one this big in any tank, and the sizes are mainly the size they reach in the wild. I would love to see a 40cm clown loach in a tank.

The reason they dont grow to that size is because they are stunted in their earlier life.

There are HUGE clown loaches on this site, i saw a picture of someones journal who has had to build a huge tank just to house his clown loaches, and its pretty much just them (If anyone could remind me who it is id be grateful!)

You cant just sugget to another member to think about bala's because your friends didnt grow that big. It's not fair on the OP or on the shark.

Not saying thst you should, but I'm sorry to say that all are different I've had top agressive fish with community and they can be fine. Can only comment on experiences

BIORB OWNER ALERT, oh no wait, i've already done that one the other day, sorry :/

Indeed I have a biOrb as they owner next door was going to throw it in the bin and fish down the toilet, so I saved them all, for free. In past i've owned a 240l tank but left it at old house due to size. So having a biOrb says nothing, apart from its the easiest tank ive looked after lol.

I like your neighbour, he has style, well, with regards to the tank going in the bin anyway, fish down the bog is a little harsh :)

Last time I checked this site wasn't somewhere we come to get fingers pointed - I own a Biorb and, like Adam, I find it a fantastic tank - for the right fish. Not everyone who owns a Biorb is bad or a crap fish keeper.
As for the shark comment, yes it was wrong, but the OP should take posts from newbies with only a few posts with a pinch of salt anyways.

K

Most reactions

Back