I Need To Make A Stocking Decision!

Choose one of the following, feel free to expand below.

• 12-14 Demasoni cichlids (Pseudotropheus demasoni)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-20 Buck-Tooth Tetras (Exodon paradoxus)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fattikins

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I plan to set up my first "big" tank. It will be 55 gallons. I have been keeping common community fish in little 10 gallon tanks for a year now, so I feel I am ready to get a bigger tank. I have rounded my stocking options to two choices.

12-14 Demasoni cichlids (Pseudotropheus demasoni)
Or
15-20 Buck-Tooth Tetras (Exodon paradoxus)

I have researched each species carefully and feel that they both would be nice fish to keep. They are both nice looking and active fish. The only issue would be that the tetras may be harder to find. Though, I might be able to order them in at my LFS. Does anyone want to try and sway me in one direction?

Demasoni definitely, such a lovely species. Though, if you are wanting to stick with a species tank, you could get a larger colony. Say around 20, there'll be more when they start breeding of course. If you want another species to go with them, labidochromis caeruleus is a classic addition. The labs are docile enough to leave the demasoni alone, and different enough looking to avoid aggression from the dems. Not to mention the blue and yellow play off each other nicely, I'd go with 15 dems and 5 labs. :good:

I'd go with the cichlids imo.

I just dislike the colours of the bucktooths, unless they're with a mix of tetras. (Blue, glow lights, black, redeyes/rummys, etc.)
The colours of them just dont look good by themselves, in my opinion. ):

EDIT :

After looking at your post, I went on youtube to check out some feeding of these bucktooths!

GO WITH THE TETRAS!
Just add in a poster in the back and tall live plants :D

Exodons every time

just make sure you have massive filtration as they can be very messy

I hadn't heard of either of those two species before - but having just Googled and done some reading up/looking at photos, I have to say that I think those little Demasoni's are gorgeous!! Very eyecatching, indeed. That's what I'd go with, although they appear to have quite an aggressive nature from what I've just read but providing you do plenty of research you should be able to avoid any major mishaps.

Interestingly, I just worked out that their name is an anagram of... "IS A DEMON"! Hahaha! :hyper:

Athena

Most reactions

Back