I need to check my water... can't keep any live bearers, in one tank...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'll admit, I've not checked this water for a long time... but I am adding straight well water, that is "rock hard" every water change, & I can just run tank change water down the drain, with no buckets needed, so I'm typically doing about a 30% water change... this tank was the last to switch over from house softened water... the platies & swords were added well after I started adding the hard water... there is a good group of the bigger sized rainbow fish, that have been in here from the start, & then the last fish added to this tank was Clown Loaches, at 2 different times... this tank is in a place in the house that it doesn't get viewed often, but at one point I had 5-6 platy / swords, & they looked well... but the other day I fished out the last platy ( dead ) since I'm not able to view as much, I don't know if they are getting bullied by the bigger rainbows, or the highly active Clowns ( The Clowns were just slightly larger than the platys, 2 - 2.5 inches ), & not been in the tank for more than a couple months... in the back of my mind, I thought the Clowns would be at most risk, as the water continues to get harder... to somewhat buffer the hardness, I have a dozen Pothos plants in hang on pots ( lined fully down the back of the tank ) pots are filled with ceramic bio media to hold the roots, with a few peat beads sprinkled in, mostly to help the plants deal with the harder water... the platys & swords were all designer strains, so likely not as durable as the closer to wild strains... thoughts??? other than check the water...

Last edited:
It could be water hardness, as Xiphophorus and Poecilia need minerals in the water. It might also be fancy strains from the store though. They aren't the toughest fish in the world.

I tested water in a Xiphophorus habitat, and it was 280ppm. The same for mollies, in a different region.

It might also be fancy strains from the store though. They aren't the toughest fish in the world.
This is the most common reason why they don't last long.

Your pothos might be a cause. Sharing an experience with my betta. Lost all of them to fin rot. The cause was the bacteria that help break NH3 was the culprit.

Most reactions

Back