I Need A Good Hardy Sholing Fish Ideas Please?

kelvinrankin767

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 120L is looking a bit bare and i want to add a nice sholing fish but it must be hardy i prefer hardy fish because there is more room for mistakes i have 8 glowlights at the moment and they are happy enough but they dont relly shoal and dont add much to the tank, So i need recomdentations i was thinking of getting Harlequin rasbora's but i havent kept them before are they hardy, Oh yea and i dont want the usual fish like white cloud minnows or danios. Any responce would be highly appericated.

Tank has been running for 3 and a half months fully matured and is modertly planted and has good filtration.

Harlequins are hardy yeah, same reason I'm thinking of getting some over Neons.

Good choice.

How about a nice group of C. aeneus? Or some other nice cory cat?

A nice group of cardinal tetras would look stunning - you cant beat the colours they are much brighter than neons and they do tend to stick together.

Ive got some volcano rasbora that look and are seem just as hardy as the danios in my tank :)

harlequins are hardy, and schoal ok, rummynoses are very hardy (I never had 1 die, and one time I changed 70% of the water without temp matching it and they all...sort of fell unconsious and lost all colour for an hour, but woke up again and were fine) and rummynoses schoal really really well

why do you need hardy fish if the tanks fully cycled and mature? most fish will be fine in a mature tank with hard water just introduce them slowly.

I would say Harlequin rasboras,i have had 10 of these for 18 months now and they're fab fish :good:

Zebra Danio, it could probably live in the dirtiest part of the London Sewerage System. :X

Although you should be fine with the majority of Tetras if your tank is cycled and matured. Harlequins would be a nice addition aswell

James.

why do you need hardy fish if the tanks fully cycled and mature? most fish will be fine in a mature tank with hard water just introduce them slowly.

cause i am sick to death of adding fish like neons and rams and they die even though my tanks has been running for a long while and is fully matured and i test my water every 2-3 days with api freshwater test kit and it always comes up fine and i keep up my water changes every week, and some fish are still to sensitive to put in thats why i am looking for a good hardy fish that i can keep in there untill its lifespan is over.

cause i am sick to death of adding fish like neons and rams and they die even though my tanks has been running for a long while and is fully matured and i test my water every 2-3 days with api freshwater test kit and it always comes up fine and i keep up my water changes every week, and some fish are still to sensitive to put in thats why i am looking for a good hardy fish that i can keep in there untill its lifespan is over.
what are your water parameters? if its way off the lfs's then slow long acclimatisation will be needed to get the fish used to your water

what are your water parameters? if its way off the lfs's then slow long acclimatisation will be needed to get the fish used to your water

well tbh i just put the bag in the water for 5 mins and then cut it open i only do this because i get my fish from a pet shop about 18 miles away and the water loses heat over that journey even though i wrap the fish bags in paper and then put in a poly box with a lid it keeps the heat in

Most reactions

Back