I love weddings

Greener

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Another wedding and another Betta fish. Well I didn't go to this wedding but a friend of the familys did. The last wedding that we went to I got the Betta fish center piece from my table and then the family friend got the betta fish from her table and gave it to me, well she won another betta fish center piece and again gave it to me, much to my mothers displeasure. My mom told me that I wasn't allowed anymore fish, especially Bettas because there are too many little tanks and bowls around the house, but the family friend gave the fish to my dad to give to me so now I have another one. My bettas are taking over my house. 25 G tank in my room but that is other fish, then a 2G in my room with a betta, a 5 g with 2 females, a 10 G with a betta and a shark, and then in the computer room 2 1 G bowls with a betta each and then downstairs a 2.5 G with a betta and now another vase with a betta (haven't had a chance to go buy him a new home). I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a bigger tank for a community tank so that I could use the 25G and 10 G for divided bettas tanks, maybe that will happen if I keep getting given fish. I love weddings :)

haha I got two goldfish from my cousins wedding last year named cabot and dude....hehe but no betta fish....thats pretty aweasome though :kana:

The ones that do not go home to a fish lover do not typically end up with an enviable fate though. Last wedding I went to my girlfriend saved the one at our table and gave it to her grandmother who still has it to this day....the others suffered horrible fates such as having wine, soap bubbles and hot wax pured into their bowls and being fought with each other until only one was left. I think bettas as centerpieces for weddings are a horrible idea. Sure a few end up in good homes but most end up as parts of cruel games for children and drunk people.

Edit: One betta even ended up being swallowed by a kid who was offered twenty bucks from the drunk guy at the next table if he would drink the contents of the bowl, fish and all. Even the ones that were not tortured were trapped in tiny little bowls with floating candles in them.....many of them died just from the heat of the candles.

That is so terrible. I wanted bettas at my wedding, but at the reception (since we were thinking of having it in the house). I was thinking of only moving the bettas into the living room and decorating them all with white gravel. Nothing like hot candles or anything. But I think due to the number of people and cats (we have a LOT of cats) that it spells disaster. I think the bettas will be left in my room for sure.

Odd... I've been to hundreds of weddings and have never heard of using bettas as a centerpiece... I think that's awful!!!

I've never seen the candle ones yet and I hope I never will. I've only seen the ones with a plant in the top which my mother likes, she gets the plant I get the fish, maybe I don't love weddings that much anymore unless they allow me to take home every center piece.

that is actually how i got my first betta, my boyfriend at the time got it from his cousins wedding and told me what he planned to do with it (his brother got one as well and were going to make them fight) and then he said he was just going to flush it live down the toilet so i forced him to give it to me and his brother's fish went to my best friend. both are alive and very healthy now.

i think it's sad when they use the fish at weddings, and it's true, out of the people that get the fish, probably only about 30% would actually care for them, unless there were more people into fish.

i mean, at first i was skeptical over would i get attached to a fish, i thought i wouldn't, but now that i have him, i'm very much attached to him. but unfortunately some people might not get that attachment

I have never heard of havnig bettas as centre pieces either, at first I thought what an idea! But now after reading about the candles and the drunken people torturnig them I think completely the opposite! I'm glad there are people that want to give these betta's a loving home- making them fight is horrible! :grr:

I don't own a betta but I really want one in a lil bowl :D Being a newbie, its probably a good idea to keep my livebearers a priority at the moment however when I learn more I will get one in the future! :D

My friend is getting married in the summer after next, and as her maid of honour I've been accompanying her on most of her dress shopping, gift registering etc because she claims she doesn't like making decisions when I'm there to make 'em for her :p

When we were looking at dresses last winter, we noticed the boutique had one of the Peace Lily bettas in a vase (water was sparkling clean, I was very happy to note, and the betta had plenty of room to move). Jamie commented on it, saying she thought it was pretty, and the woman helping her with her dress immediately suggested considering it for a centrepiece.

I must confess I went on a pretty vocal rant, I'm afraid, and listed the candles and careless disposal of the fish as being just a few of the reasons not to consider this :*) Jamie, mercifully, agreed with me ;)

I never plan to get married (easier that way -- can't get divorced if you don't get married, lol!) but if I did, I'd want bettas as center pieces... center pieces in 1 gallon bowls with lids, with happy little notes that said something like "Treat this fish with respect as you would any other guest, or so help me God I will strangle the life out of you with my bare hands :)"

Synirr said:
I never plan to get married (easier that way -- can't get divorced if you don't get married, lol!) but if I did, I'd want bettas as center pieces... center pieces in 1 gallon bowls with lids, with happy little notes that said something like "Treat this fish with respect as you would any other guest, or so help me God I will strangle the life out of you with my bare hands :)"
[snapback]868862[/snapback]​

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Most reactions

Back