I Just Got A New 15 Gallon Tank. ;o

Rexx0rz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was wondering if i'd be able to keep platies and neon tetras together in there, if so, how many of each. if not... oh well. ^^;;

ahh, alright, well i'm still thinking about what to put in there, currently i want neons and platies, but i still have time to decide ^^;

If it's a fairly new tank, it's best to avoid the Neons; they do best in a tank that's been cycled AND matured for a good 3/4 months, maybe more. The Neons we get these days are nowhere near the quality they used to be, ironically due to their popularity. Like a lot of fish now, they've been massively overbred and, as always, the quality usually suffers. Try having a word with your LFS and ask if you get something else for now, would they let you part exchange them for Neons a little later on when your tank is ready for them.

I think Endlers can go into a newly established tank, and they are like neons with a huge color variety.

They also like to school, if that is something you would like?

Look into Endlers in stead of neons.

-FHM

Yea, i absolutely agree with fatheadminnow, endlers are quite hardy and therefore dont require alot of hardcore maintainance, they look great in my small tank and breed like crazy which is exciting.

If,you are desperate to have tetras though, im sure some glowlights or rummy nose's would be an excellent addition.

rummy nose tetras would be the worst addition in a new tank. 3 of the weakest tetras in the hobby today are (in order of weakness from hardy to weak):

neon tetras
cardinal tetras
rummy nose tetras

rummy nose tetras would be the worst addition in a new tank. 3 of the weakest tetras in the hobby today are (in order of weakness from hardy to weak):

neon tetras
cardinal tetras
rummy nose tetras

Indeed they are; IIRC, we had several posts a few months back about people losing Rummy Noses.

Livebearer tanks are a great and exciting choice if that's what you want.

I always feel though that its important for beginners to be sure to make it a "conscious" choice, in that it can create a more dynamic hobby situation, sometimes calling for rehoming fish as the population gets bigger or adding new tanks, whatever. In this particular case, going with 3 female platies or with endlers would be choosing to go in this direction.

Agree about those three tetra species being delicate (and absolutely agree about them needed the extra months of tank maturation post-fishless-cycle) but if a newbie follows the advice of most of the members here with their new tank there's no reason that tank shouldn't be providing a great environment 6 months down the road and be a good home, giving any of those 3 species a great chance of surviving if well maintained and if the genetics of the individual fish happen to be ok.

~~waterdrop~~
(edit: spelling)

thanks everyone, i know i have to let my tank cycle, which i'm doing, i'm not rushing to get the fish right away. ^^ thanks~

Most reactions

Back