I Have Some Questions.

Kets

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1. One of my Panda Cories seems to be stressed. The caudal fin is frayed and looks red and his body looks dark-colored. I will be doing 50% water changes off the tank, but is there anything else I should do? The only fish in there are 3 Panda cories and 2 Pygmys.

2. I decided for the sake of genetic diversity (Im fairly sure that 5 out of seven of the ones I have are siblings) to introduce a new male Albino Cory to my tank. He looks a little more pink than the others. Once he is less stressed, will he get less pink?

3. I currently have:

20 High:
-8 C. aeneus "Albino"
-3 C. "CW010/Gold Laser" (I plan to move these to a different tank.)
-3 Sailfin Mollies (I am considering moving these to a different tank.)
-1 Platy (I plan to get rid of)
-1 BN Pleco (I plan to get rid of)

Once I get rid of the BN pleco and the Platy (By Monday), will my tank still be overstocked? The Lasers will be moved to a 15 gallon hopefully by Saturday.

4. What would you say about putting goldfish with cories? Would larger cories (Maybe Scleromystax?) be ok with them? I have no plans to introduse a goldfish, but just out of curiosity.

5. I am fairly sure there will be some wild C. hastatus at the next meeting of the fishkeeping club I belong in. Im considering moving the fish in the 10 gallon (3 pandas, 2 pygmys) to make room. Could I move the pandas with my Brochis (20 g long, 6 B. splendens, 4 Tanichtys Micagemmae) and the pygmys with my Sterbai (4 Sterbai, 2 Guppies) temporarily?

6. Since tuesday, I have fed my cories nothing but Bloodworms. How long should I continue feeding them these until they are fully conditioned?

The albinos will be a golder color and less pale on a dark substrate. It is hard to say how much your new albino will color up. What was it's color when you purchsed it?

The frayed fins could be fin rot. Keep the fish in very clean water. You will need to decide whether to isolate the affected fish into a quarantine tank or keep him with the others. There are pros and cons.

Any advice concerning possible medications if you are so inclined will depend on your location.

I would not put my pandas with Brochis, especially if you have a smaller variety and they are at all stressed. Maybe a well planted tank and wild caught pandas would do the pandas, but they also prefer different tank temps.

I would put the sterbai and Brochis together. They prefer similar tank temps and are closer in size and temperment.

I don't consider your 20 high to be overstocked now as long as you are maintaining it.

Give your Corys some variety with the blood worms. I feed my Corys live black worms almost daily always.

If I were going to keep Corys with Goldies, it would be Peppers as they like cool water. But goldies are a little big and some can be rough and tumble. I haven't tried it since my goldies were the size of feeders. Are they fancy goldies? what variety? If they are common or koi or pond varieties I would definately not consider it long term as the pond varieties like to nudge and bump and get big. Some fancys might work once the corys are large enough to not be eaten.

The albinos will be a golder color and less pale on a dark substrate. It is hard to say how much your new albino will color up. What was it's color when you purchsed it?

The frayed fins could be fin rot. Keep the fish in very clean water. You will need to decide whether to isolate the affected fish into a quarantine tank or keep him with the others. There are pros and cons.

Any advice concerning possible medications if you are so inclined will depend on your location.

I would not put my pandas with Brochis, especially if you have a smaller variety and they are at all stressed. Maybe a well planted tank and wild caught pandas would do the pandas, but they also prefer different tank temps.

I would put the sterbai and Brochis together. They prefer similar tank temps and are closer in size and temperment.

I don't consider your 20 high to be overstocked now as long as you are maintaining it.

Give your Corys some variety with the blood worms. I feed my Corys live black worms almost daily always.

If I were going to keep Corys with Goldies, it would be Peppers as they like cool water. But goldies are a little big and some can be rough and tumble. I haven't tried it since my goldies were the size of feeders. Are they fancy goldies? what variety? If they are common or koi or pond varieties I would definately not consider it long term as the pond varieties like to nudge and bump and get big. Some fancys might work once the corys are large enough to not be eaten.

Thanks!

The panda with the frayed fins looks a little better, but it's "skin" is still dark. I live in Northern Virginia. I dont have any goldfish, but I was considering getting a comet (long-finned common). If I ever do, Ill put it in it's own tank.

I have a few more questions:

Can I use golden pearls to feed cory fry?

Out of curiosity, can Gold Lasers crossbreed with Aeneus cories?

What kind of sword plants (Echinodorus) can I use in a 20 long that wont outgrow it?

How do you take care of wild cories?

LOL

I don't know what the golden pearls are. Feed some sort of fry food. There are many, many kinds on the market: powders, liquids, and jarred baby brine shrimp as well as the ones you grow yourself.

I have a common Goldie about 5 years old plus. He/she is over a foot and fat. I worry that the 60 usg is getting too small.

Are the fins white on the frayed edges? Do they seem to be growing back or getting shorter? Fin Rot can be treated by a variety of medications in the States. I stick to Mardel/Maracyn Products and API mostly. The packages will say if the medication treats fin rot. If the fins are growing back, not fraying anymore, and not white or gray and wispy on the edges, I would not treat with medication. Just keep the water and substrate very clean. Some medications will cause your tank to cycle. (The attraction to Mardel is that it does not kill the nitrifying bacteria in the filters.) With all medications you must remove chemical media from the filters.

They might be able to but if there are both genders of each species they will likely not. I have gold and green lasers together to test the premise now. So far they seem to stay apart, but the gold are sill young.

Wild caught Corys are pretty much the same as aquarium bred. Maybe they are even heartier. Sometimes they are slower to breed in the aquarium. Most take well to processed foods. A good importer will make sure they are eating well and free of parasites.

I really cannot answer the plant question.

Red streaks like in the blood vessels are a symptom of septecemia. You need to medicate. It is a bacterial infection in the blood and very serious. If not too late it can be cured, but it is very serious. Post in the emergency section.

Look in the lps for a strong antibacterial-- a combination of Marycin and Marycin II will treat it. But there are API that will also. http://www.petsmart.com/product/include/pr...oductId=2753391

[URL="http://www.petlibrary.com/goldfish/septi.htm"]http://www.petlibrary.com/goldfish/septi.htm[/URL]

a form of tetracycline that will enter the blood stream is what is needed.

more links

<a href="http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/fins.html" target="_blank">http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/fins.html</a>

Also known as Red Pest
<a href="http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/redpest.php" target="_blank">http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/redpest.php</a>

<a href="http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/info...iseases.htm#Red" target="_blank">http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/info...iseases.htm#Red</a> Pest

In this disease a quarantine tank is suggested. All but Mardel will cause the tank to cycle.

It is also recommended that the tank be cleaned with acriflavine

How do I use tetracycline on food? Do I like put the food in a solution of 500 ml of water and add 5 mg of TC?

How do I use tetracycline on food? Do I like put the food in a solution of 500 ml of water and add 5 mg of TC?

No need to put it into the food. Just add it to the water using the recommended dosage.

I've also been using erythromycin for hemorrhagic septicemia with (apparent) success.

Just remember to follow the recommended dosage and to remove the carbon filter during the treatment.

Also, as jollysue cautioned, using anti-bacterial medication can do a number on the good bacteria in your filter and cause a mini-cycle so be very careful with the amount of food you introduce. If you over filter (like me) you shouldn't have much of a problem. But be careful, and keep a close eye on the NH3/4, NO2 and NO3.

Good luck.

If you use Maracyn and Maracyn II you won't have to use the food or worry about the mini cycle. If you want to get them to ingest it, soak the food in a dilution. I would have to Google to find more info so ....Google. :)

Unfortunately, the Panda Cory died. Should I still treat the tank he was in with Tetracycline or should I just disinfect with Acriflavine?

If no other fish are infected or show symptoms, it is not necesary to treat the tank with tetracycline.

There is a reason the fish got Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia. It is wise to investigate and find out what is wrong.

I have never used Acriflavine, but I would certainly not advise against it. Seems like a wise course. I plan to look into it.

Thanks! Ill see If my LFS can order in some Acriflavine.

Would H202 work as a subsitute for Acriflavine?

Most reactions

Back