I have a very aggressive female guppy. Is there anything I can do you reduce stress for her companions.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two tanks the same size. I have a trio of guppies in each tank. One male and two females, with a small number of fry. The biggest female is chasing the other two fish relentlessly, and nipping fins of the male who can’t swim as fast. She never seems to stop. I have a small, cycled, bare tank set up in case of emergencies, but i think it’s only 2 gallons and not a good solution for housing her for more then a few days.

I will be separating to single sex tanks, but I have been waiting for some male fry to grow big enough as I have heard two males are too few to get along.

Well, if she keeps doing that, get her out of there. Adding more guppies, won't help to get the stress down. For she will chase the new ones as well.

Well, if she keeps doing that, get her out of there. Adding more guppies, won't help to get the stress down. For she will chase the new ones as well.
Can she live alone happily in a 2 gallon for a while? I have some spare decor and bit of guppy grass in to make it more interesting. She is quite problematic as when the other female was giving birth she chased her around the tank eating every fry the moment it was born. Now she attacks the male, I’ve never seen him get close enough to mate with her.

Most reactions

Back