i hate my wife some times

simonbrown403

Fish Herder
Reaction score
my discus have been in there new tank for 2 months now, i've been waiting for them to lay again, so i started 50% water changes to give them a kick up the bum.

What do u know they where laying while i was at work, working late, so my wife rang me to say the female was laying and the male, was eating as she went, then when finished she started eating. ARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! i wish she hadent told me at all. :(

i'm thinking did they know there was a prob with the eggs, may water to hard? do i have 2 females, and 1s eating the competision? or am i just doomed to failer?

my water TDS reading is 112ppm, i'm just wondering if thats to high, whats the recomended TDS for breeding and sucssesfully hatching???? :dunno:

Im sorry i can't help u there, but i am sorry for ur lose! :(

discus will eat their eggs, as will angels, unfortunately you cant remove them cos of the fact that discus fry need to feed off their parents body mucus when newborn, the only thing i can think of doing is putting up a glass partition after she's laid them and removing it once the fry hatch...

please remember that i'm not an expert and i'm glad to be corrected when wrong, so dont just take my word for it, wait for further replies

good luck and hope you get another batch soon!

(EDIT): also i dont know if you're aware and have more but discus are schooling fish and do better in groups of 6+, keeping fewer than this will stress the fish.

I've been talking to one of the lads at my local shop, he's hot when it comes to discus and plants, "he says he's no exspert" but his boss Steve Punchard dos'nt aggree.

He says it can take young fish a few batches to get it right. :S :S :S

Well if they're anything like other cichlids that's absolutely correct. I would never expect a cichlid to get the first "birthing" right. My female red zebra swallowed her holdings her first THREE times! :)

My NON expert advice would be, just be patient. :whistle:

Good luck those are gorgeous!! :wub: :lol:

Hope your wife doesn't see the topic title !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

or she will be :crazy: :angry: :blink: :grr:

Most reactions

Back