I got a new 10 gallon tank! What do I put in it?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Best 10 gal fish

• Guppies (3+)

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Dwarf Gourami ( my fav fish )

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Neon tetra

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Kuhli Loach ( I love those little water snake looking thinks cute!)

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Common Molly ( so colorful!)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Chili Rasbora( another one of my favorites!)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other (post in comments)

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Honey Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I just got a new 10 gallon tank! Now what do I put in it the things I’d like in a water animal are down below

1. I don’t want it to eat live animals
2.I don’t want to abuse my poor fish again
3. Preferably something I could make into a growing community tank!
any suggestions?
my fav fish are in the poll ( I actually looked up the requirements his time)

1. A 10 gallon tank is small for dwarf gourami, neon tetra, loaches, and molly. All of these fish will need a tank size of at least 20 gallons or higher due to activity levels and temperament.

2. Skip the dwarf gourami and neon tetras all together. They're highly inbred and have weaker genetics, which means they won't live long and are prone to illness. Not only that, but dwarf gourami iridovirus and neon tetra diseases are hard to treat, which results in death for the fish, unfortunately.

3. Guppies may work, but with males only. In a tank with mixed sex or just females, there's a high chance of the tank being overpopulated with fry.

4. Boraras, any species, would be ideal in a 10 gallon and you can have at least 15 if you're doing a species only.

5. Before buying the fish, check to see what your water hardness is. Soft water species do well in soft water while hard water species do well in hard water. For instance, guppies do best in hard water while chili rasbora do best in soft water. This is due to the fact that some species are built to take in minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, in their bodies and some don't.

If dwarf gourami are your favorite, I think you should get one. One dwarf with a dozen Chili Rasboras should do well in a 10 gallon.

So I just got a new 10 gallon tank! Now what do I put in it the things I’d like in a water animal are down below

1. I don’t want it to eat live animals
2.I don’t want to abuse my poor fish again
3. Preferably something I could make into a growing community tank!
any suggestions?
my fav fish are in the poll ( I actually looked up the requirements his time)
What is your water hardness?

It depends on water hardness.
Soft water options:
Chili Rasboras
Pygmy corydoras
Neon/Cardinal tetras
Bettas
Shrimp
Hard water options:
Guppies
Endler's livebearers
SNAILS
Snails can still be in soft water... They just need more KH, which is the amount of calcium in the water.

They just need more KH, which is the amount of calcium in the water.
GH is the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water.
KH is the amount of buffer in the water, the vast majority is carbonate and bicarbonate.

KH is measured by adding acid of a known strength to a sample of water until the pH drops to 4.5. The lower the KH, the less acid it takes. This is why water providers use the word 'alkalinity' rather than 'KH'. My son used to work as an analyst for a water testing company :)

GH is the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water.
KH is the amount of buffer in the water, the vast majority is carbonate and bicarbonate.

KH is measured by adding acid of a known strength to a sample of water until the pH drops to 4.5. The lower the KH, the less acid it takes. This is why water providers use the word 'alkalinity' rather than 'KH'. My son used to work as an analyst for a water testing company :)
I always thought that KH was for calcium...

I have not filled up the tank my plan is to decide what to stalk the tank with first then cycle the tank and test for all that stuff and I will wait until the conditions of the tank are right for my new fish
That will be a problem. You need to find out your water hardness first. Some fish prefer soft conditions and others prefer hard.

Most reactions

Back