I Finally Have My First 0 Nitrite Reading!

Angels777

Reaction score
I'm on day 26 of my fishless cycle and after a little stall in my cycle I finally have my first readings of
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20 nitrates

I know that I need to make sure that the cycle has really completed so I am going to continue to add the ammonia for the next couple of days and make sure that my ammonia and nitrite readings return to 0. I have to order my fish because my local pet stores do not have them in stock so this will leave my tank fishless for several more days once the cycle is complete. I want to make sure that I am doing this correctly and have a couple of questions

1. I need to continue adding the same amount of ammonia in my tank on a daily basis until I can put my fish in there, correct?

2. When do I do the "big" water change?
a. After I have confirmation that my tank has cycled in a couple of days? Or

b. Right before I add my fish? Which could be up to 7 more days because I have to wait for them to arrive.

1. I need to continue adding the same amount of ammonia in my tank on a daily basis until I can put my fish in there, correct?
correct

2. When do I do the "big" water change?
a. After I have confirmation that my tank has cycled in a couple of days? Or

b. Right before I add my fish? Which could be up to 7 more days because I have to wait for them to arrive.
option b.

+1

Keep adding ammonia untill the big day then big water change and fish :)

Good luck!

Have a kettle at hand if you are adding the fish RIGHT after the water change.

Dont wanna freeze their tootsies off!

Hi people! I'm new here, sorry for reviving the topic...I could not find a proper topic to post my doubt, I think this is the best one. I'm cycling a 20G FW tank (FW for while, it's gonna be low-end brackish), and I have a question: today is the day #14, I started the process adding ammonia till I get 5ppm, now I have ZERO ammonia within less than 24h, but I got the nitrite spike 3 days ago, but now it's out of the chart, and I'd like to know when it'll begin to decrease. 'Cause I saw some people saying that it took a lot of days to happen or even had stick. I don't know what to expect... -_-
Can you help me?

Most reactions

Back