I Can’t Believe This!

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So, as most of you know, I had an awful 3 week ordeal with ich. Finally got it under control (Knock on wood). I was looking at my tetras in the QT tank this morning. They have been in there almost 5 weeks now. Thought we were about ready to move them into the big tank since ich is now gone. Guess what? Yep, 3 of them now have ich! I have to laugh at this point. Heat is up and salt dosed. Nothing was cross contaminated. Even my Python was cleaned every time with bleach and then Prime/water. I went overboard with disinfecting. How 5 weeks later? Oh well, it is what is. Lol!:rofl:

So, as most of you know, I had an awful 3 week ordeal with ich. Finally got it under control (Knock on wood). I was looking at my tetras in the QT tank this morning. They have been in there almost 5 weeks now. Thought we were about ready to move them into the big tank since ich is now gone. Guess what? Yep, 3 of them now have ich! I have to laugh at this point. Heat is up and salt dosed. Nothing was cross contaminated. Even my Python was cleaned every time with bleach and then Prime/water. I went overboard with disinfecting. How 5 weeks later? Oh well, it is what is. Lol!:rofl:
Surely this can't be rotten luck! Seems so unfair! Couldn't be anything to do with temperature changes during water changes or anything could it? Can understand your frustration, makes no sense!

Surely this can't be rotten luck! Seems so unfair! Couldn't be anything to do with temperature changes during water changes or anything could it? Can understand your frustration, makes no sense!
The only thing I did different this time was poured some cold water in while faucet water was going in to keep temp at 75F. I’m in Texas and water is coming out at 78-79F. I did it slowly but maybe it stressed them. Who knows. Good point though. :)

The only thing I did different this time was poured some cold water in while faucet water was going in to keep temp at 75F. I’m in Texas and water is coming out at 78-79F. I did it slowly but maybe it stressed them. Who knows. Good point though. :)
Your Tap water is that warm?!?! Wow, that is crazy! I could never live in Texas... I grew up in the Northeast and we sometimes had to keep our tap running at a trickle to keep our pipes from freezing in the winter.

I was just thinking of any reasons that could cause it and from your updates it seemed as though that's the only thing not ruled out. I'm still medicating an ich problem in my community tank because I stupidly didn't correctly temperature match the fresh water. Sounds like you need to be cut a break, atleast bad things come in three's! You should have had your three by now

That really is bad luck, sorry to hear that... :(

This may warrant further investigation, although TBH I would not know where to start. I would be very surprised if it is the temp changes. I don't bother temp matching in summer and as long as the water is within 3 or 4 degrees (That's 6-8F!!!) I just chuck it in. Not recommending you start doing that BTW :). I know you do regular water changes and keep your tanks and filters clean so I am at a bit of a loss. Ich does not lie dormant and should not appear spontaneously. It is understandable that it came in via new fish but once dealt with that should be the end of it :dunno:

This may warrant further investigation, although TBH I would not know where to start. I would be very surprised if it is the temp changes. I don't bother temp matching in summer and as long as the water is within 3 or 4 degrees (That's 6-8F!!!) I just chuck it in. Not recommending you start doing that BTW :). I know you do regular water changes and keep your tanks and filters clean so I am at a bit of a loss. Ich does not lie dormant and should not appear spontaneously. It is understandable that it came in via new fish but once dealt with that should be the end of it :dunno:
I sudden temperature change within a few degrees is enough to kick off ich. I did the same as you until I got hit with it in my 165L. I'll be going forward with the closest match possible because it's a nightmare lol

This the first time in this tank. I just don’t understand why it took 5 weeks. They even came from different breeders. It’s just crazy. Good thing is I only lost 3 tetras out of 48 so far. The ich itself doesn’t seem to bother them as much as it does me. I haven’t had ich in years so hopefully, after this round, my time is done. :)

Most reactions

Back