This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
Are they flying foxes?

c5f2d279.jpg

84bbf8a5.jpg

4e420b15.jpg

Possibly something on here?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pictorial-species-search-index/nemacheiline-prominent-lateral-stripe

http://www.petresources.net/fish/article/sae.html

If you scroll down the page there is a list of characteristics for the SAE, false SAE and flying fox

hope it helps.

It does not appear so according to this description and pic I found of a flying fox:

"The simplest way to identify it is by the characteristic white-edged, red and black coloured fins along with the presence of two pairs of barbels."

flyingfox.jpg

this is the dillema i had with a fish i aquired, the websites around are very conflicting when it comes to flying foxes and siamese algae eaters some even say its the same fish, i had to use latin names to research what i had, using the latin name, looks and the fish behaviour it was decided i have a flying fox, not that i really care, he seems fine in my tank.

im pretty sure without looking it up that the flying fox has the gold stripe above the black stripe as the pic shows and the black stripe on the SAE has a jagged edge to it and on the FF it looks perfectly straight like in your pic also. i dont think the SAE has any colour in its fins either just a clear milky colour to them, no red or black....

im pretty sure without looking it up that the flying fox has the gold stripe above the black stripe as the pic shows and the black stripe on the SAE has a jagged edge to it and on the FF it looks perfectly straight like in your pic also. i dont think the SAE has any colour in its fins either just a clear milky colour to them, no red or black....

no gold stripe on mine, and the black line is straight not jagged and mine also has clear fins so that what was confusing, i went to the LFS and used there latin book to research names and pictures and went from there,

no gold stripe on mine, and the black line is straight not jagged and mine also has clear fins so that what was confusing, i went to the LFS and used there latin book to research names and pictures and went from there,
what size is yours?

Mine are about 3" long, give or take a cm between the three of them. With the couple hours of research I've done since yesterday I can safely say they're flying foxes. Certainly beautiful fish, without a doubt. But I noticed that a couple of my albino cory in my 55g are showing signs of their dorsal fins being nipped, and I can only assume it's the FF in there.

The LFS owner will take them back, thank goodness, but I now have to worry about when I can make the 4 hour round trip. Sigh.

Its not a Siamese Algae eater for sure, ive owned 2 in my fish keeping experience. SAE's are a very light tan with dark brown to black markings on it. They also have a mouth similar to a Pleco, Oto, and other Algae eating Fish. I wouldnt keep a SAE with anything small or peaceful cause they get huge and VERY mean. I got mine when i was younger and dumber lol and put him in a 5 gallon tank, i quickly put him in my uncles pond. He got bigger than the goldfish! over 1 foot long. He was HUGE! I havent seen him in awhile, he only came out in the EARLY morning, the rest of the day he hid. So using my knowledge, you do not have a common SAE. Now, you may have some other variety, but i also dont think that is a flying fox, as ive seen those in my LFS and that doesnt look like any ive seen.

Yes definately flying foxes. You could order some SAE from this guy:
http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/tropical-fish/450-siamese-algae-eater.html

He told me shipping was $10-$13 on fish, the website usually overcharges you then he refunds the difference.

Most reactions

Back