I Am Gonna Sound Really Thick I Know

becca320

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been watching this part of the forum for ages, and doing reasearch into the care of bettas, so today seperated my 40litre old fry tank for two bettas, was hoping to get a male and a female however i am sure i have got two males, obvioulsly one is definately male but the other i aint so sure about.
If anyone can shed any light onto it !! would appreciate it
Thanks Becks.

Heshe.jpg

male.jpg

I have been watching this part of the forum for ages, and doing reasearch into the care of bettas, so today seperated my 40litre old fry tank for two bettas, was hoping to get a male and a female however i am sure i have got two males, obvioulsly one is definately male but the other i aint so sure about.
If anyone can shed any light onto it !! would appreciate it
Thanks Becks.

Heshe.jpg

male.jpg

Its the first picture i am questioning LOL !!!!!!

i wud say female, coz of the stress lines, but males get them too sometimes

a clearer pic wud be good :)

I will try and get a better pic soon, but would drather them calm down a little as only purchased them today ... Do females have the same enlarged fins at the front of the face , cos he / she when catches himn looking at her on the other side of the divider seems to enlarge the front fins / gills.... sorry i have a lot more to read are they pectoral fins ???

I will try and get a better pic soon, but would drather them calm down a little as only purchased them today ... Do females have the same enlarged fins at the front of the face , cos he / she when catches himn looking at her on the other side of the divider seems to enlarge the front fins / gills.... sorry i have a lot more to read are they pectoral fins ???

when it flares does the beard go all the way under the chin?

pectoral fins are usually noticeably longer in males, however sometimes this isnt always the case lol

when it flares does the beard go all the way under the chin?

pectoral fins are usually noticeably longer in males, however sometimes this isnt always the case lol
ventrals are usually longer in males, these are the dangly fins under the chin. pectoral fins are the little fluttery things on the sides, they are generally the same size whether male or female

pecsandvents.jpg

what they do when they are showing off is called flaring, they puff out their gill covers, and the bit that extends out from underneath in males is called the beard.

Looks female to me. Do you see a little white spot behind it's ventral fins?

Looks femaleish? Clearer pic would help though.

The white ovi spot means nothing in young bettas. Juvenile males have them too :good:

i was having a moment ibble lol :blush:
yeah i do that sort of thing loads too, you know they mean ventrals, but because they have said pectorals you just carry on using it too, it just doesn't quite click does it! lol

but i just thought as becca320 is fairly new to bettas, it would be best to make sure she had the correct names from the start, wasn't having a pop at you or anything :good:

didnt think u were for a second :good:

i wasnt with it lol, my mind is on my poor lil lass moomin who has dropsy :(

hmm... its a tricky one to place. my instinct says male because:

* dorsal fin is large. id expect the dorsal to be largeish on a heavy finned variety of female too but...
*anal fin is short but has a long tip to it. the shortness indicates its not a heavy finned variety female, and the long tip rules out a PK female, but the fins are clamped so its not so easy to tell for sure.
*tail has straight edges ruling out a VT female.

the fish is quite chubby looking so could be an eggy female, but could also just be a chubby male lol.

id say either a PK male or a delta female... most likely the male

Most reactions

Back