Hurricane

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Where I am there is supposed to be a hurricane sometime Early next week. Most of the times when a Hurricane has hit where I am the power goes out. How do I care for my fish tanks if there is a power outage? My filters, heaters, air stones, and lighting will not work. Will the live plants be ok without light? How do I control the temperature in my tank? It is really hot outside around the high 90's and if the power goes out so will the air conditioning. What should I do to prepare my the fish tanks for something like this?

Last edited:
Get battery operated air pumps to run airstones on the tanks, keep filter media from drying out. Limit food as well to every other day to prevent ammonia build up.

You will need the airstones with the temperatures and sitting water...

Do you have a generator, or have access to one? Several years ago, we had an intense thunderstorm with powerful down drafts that took out trees and power lines. It was like a tornado went through our area. We were without power for almost a week. We borrowed a generator from a family member who didn't lose power, and used it to power the Fish Tank and the Refrigerator. It was a horrible experience... No stove, no hot water, no whasher/dryer... We would take turns between plugging in the Refrigerator and the Stove when we wanted to cook dinner. We would turn the generator off from time to time to save on gas, but the Fish Tank stayed plugged in as much as possible. The entire neighborhood had generators running, it was so loud outside, and most people had their windows open because AC wasn't running and it was the middle of summer. It was a constant drone of generators, and kept us up at night. Anyway, you may also be able to rent a generator from a Rental Company. I know rental places offer a huge variety of tools and such, they might have generators you can rent? Good luck! I hope it doesn't hit, or do much damage and that you don't lose power and have to worry about it.

We have a generator but my dad said it wouldn't have enough power to run my fish tanks (I have 6) and other electrical appliances. I will definitely try to find battery powered air pumps. thank you
Check both the pet sections and fishing section at stores like Walmart, ive seen the battery operated ones with the fishing gear as well as pet supplies.

Petsmart usually has them in stock too.

What you could do, is any ceramic media, take it out of your filter if your power goes out, put it in a jar with some filter floss, a tube, and make a little air powdered filter for emergency use.

Hook up your battery operated pumps to these to filter the tanks and aerate them if your power goes out.

Lighting isn't a big deal. Keeping fish alive is more crucial

We have a generator but my dad said it wouldn't have enough power to run my fish tanks (I have 6) and other electrical appliances. I will definitely try to find battery powered air pumps. thank you
I didn't realize you had so many tanks... Yes, a generator (average sized) would not be able to handle that many tanks, plus electrical appliances... Good luck! Hopefully you wont loose power at all, and wont have to worry about it.

I agree. Battery powered air pumps and mini generators.

You can find battery powered air pumps at most sporting stores, in the fishing section.

You can get them in the fishing dept. at Walmart and at Academy they’re $5. I keep them for such emergencies.

Last edited:
You don't need the lights on unless you have plants, and they will survive a couple of days without light.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the tank a day or two before the hurricane hits.

Clean the filter a couple of days before the hurricane hits so there is less gunk in it.
When the power goes out, take the filter media and put it in the tank until the power comes back on.

When you have no power, don't feed the fish.

As others have mentioned, get a battery operated air pump and use a multi-coloured plastic airstone because they don't put as much back pressure on the pump and the battery will last longer.

Thanks for all the replies! I got battery powered air pumps and I have sponge filters in my tanks now. The power went out half an hour ago.

You didnt need any new pumps just buy a ups system, it's essentially a big battery pack that sustains even hungry appliances like computers however they aren't cheap.

Most reactions

Back