How to stop fancy goldfish mating behaviour?

Danni98

Reaction score
Hello I have 3 fancy goldfish in a 170 litre tank I have turned the temp to 20c and two of them are chasing after one I donā€™t have a second tank to put one in any advice will be appreciated

You can't stop it. It's the season, and it won't last.

Hello I have 3 fancy goldfish in a 170 litre tank I have turned the temp to 20c and two of them are chasing after one I donā€™t have a second tank to put one in any advice will be appreciated
Hello. I have Goldfish in an indoor 60 gallon and 100 gallon tank. I've had the fish for several years and have found if I keep the tank water temperature at a steady 70 to 72 degrees, they don't reproduce. It's the gradual change in water temperature from cool to warmer that triggers the reproduction. I've had my Goldfish in my outdoor tank reproduce. This is about as scientific as I get.

It's not a helpful reply, I know. But the Spring mating frenzy is part of goldfish life. You can separate them if you have resources, but if you don't, it is their nature. They are reacting to cues - lighting being a big one, and I always thought I got the ones I took care of out into ponds before the mayhem started. I still found fry in the tanks they'd vacated though.

It's not a helpful reply, I know. But the Spring mating frenzy is part of goldfish life. You can separate them if you have resources, but if you don't, it is their nature. They are reacting to cues - lighting being a big one, and I always thought I got the ones I took care of out into ponds before the mayhem started. I still found fry in the tanks they'd vacated though.
They have stop chasing since i turned the temperature down to 20c and i will decrease the lights for abit thank you Iā€™m totally new to fancy goldfish i had tropical fish before so its a change, also i have been doing 50% water changes every other day due to a ammonia spike so I donā€™t think that help with that mating behaviour

I hate to be negative, but the ones I took care of spawned at 17. Most were 'commons' with a few shubunkins thrown in.

When 2 inch tropicals get rowdy, it's easier to ignore. Goldies will race around for a few days, and then settle.

The pond I overwintered the goldfish horde from got a summertime visit from a heron, when I was away for a few weeks. That was my unintended solution. I Immediately stocked the pond with paradise fish so no one could replace them. I am not a fan of goldfish, even if my great grandfather backyard bred fancies in tubs, for money.

Most reactions

Back