How To Reduce Gh & Ph

BlueRam

Reaction score
Hi,
Thinking of setting up a planted nano tank but the problem I have is that my tap water is very hard. Over the last few months, I have been testing the tap water from time to time and this is what I have found -

pH = 7.5 - 8.5
GH = 240mg/l
KH = >80mg/l
Nitrate = 5 - 10

My question is what can I do to the water to correct this and make it more suitable for a planted tank? I was thinking of using either Seachem Acid Buffer or Seachem Neutral Regulater? Would this be the best option or am I going to have problems balancing this to the right levels each time I do a water change?

Would be interested to know what others do if their tapwater is very hard.

Many thanks for any help.

you could try using an R.O/Tap mix if you really wanna keep the soft water species!

Yeh don't use chemicals, you'll be constantly fighting a loosing battle if you do. RO water is really the only choice.

Sam

RO means reverse osmosis. Basically the water if forced through a semi-permeable membrane, which allows water through but not all the other stuff like minerals, this means the product water is nearly 100% pure H2O. Being so pure it needs to have the essential minerals put back in, either by using a produce like Kent RO right or by mixing it with tap water. Most people do the tap water thing as its cheaper. From the stats you gave, I think you've got similar water to me, in which case I you'll probably need to mix the RO water with tap water at about 4:1 i.e. 4lt RO water for every 1lt tap, that should reduce you GH, KH and pH.

You can get RO water from most LFS but that can work out expensive especially if its a big tank. The other option is to use a RO unit which you hook up to the tap. They start at around 50 quid, Osmotics who sponsor this website sell them, that's were I got mine from and I'm more than happy with it. The only trouble with them is they produce a lot of waste water i.e for every 1lt of RO water there is about 5lt waste water (I run mine in the garden so the waste water goes on the plants). You also need to find a way of storing the water until its needed, as the units run very slowly so you need to produce it in advance of the tank water change (my local camping store sells 25lt jerrycans, which I find perfect). They also need a highish tap water pressure to force the water through the membrane, you can get pumps to fix this in low pressure areas, but that's an added expense.

Sam

Thanks for the replies. I will go with the RO option as I will have one for my reef tank. Interesting no one uses all these buffers which are on the market! I thought ti would be a quick and easy way to soften up the water......mind you, I should have learnt by now that in this hobby, if it is quick and easy, there is bound to be issues with it!

If you're getting a reef tank then an RO unit would be a great investment.

I think the trouble with these buffers is that you're constantly fighting against the natural properties of the water. The RO system actually removes parts of the water changing its chemistry, where as the buffers just try to act against whats already in there. If that goes wrong the water will spring back to what it was previously. Guess its all about doing whats right for the fish and I personally don't like adding things to the water if its not 'natural' or 100% necessary (as in the case of the dechlorinator) you don't want to wake up and find you've killed all the fish due to a huge and sudden pH change.

One tip, if you're getting a reef tank then get an RO unit with a Deionizing pod on it, that way the water coming out is 99.999% pure H2O which is perfect for adding the salt, etc, to :)

Sam

People rarely use buffers because it's best to keep as many "artificial" chemicals down as possible. RO water doesn't have chemical additions, more of a reverse, in that all the ions causing the hardness in the water is removed. it's about 50p a UK.gal from my LFS and I use a 50/50 mix. My tap water KH is off scale =]... which is what you get for living in yorkshire wold's catchment area.

So does everyone with RO units mix their tap water with a 4 to 1 ratio e.g. 4 RO to 1 tap water? Is this not a little watered down (excuse the pun!). I thought this may remove too much from the water?

It depends on your own tapwater's GH/KH... there's a calculator over here that lets you work out how much RO you need to get a specific GH/KH

In most hardwater parts, 50/50 seems to be a good norm

Most reactions

Back