How To Reduce Aggresion

Soundspeedy

Reaction score
Is there a way in which i can reduce the aggresion of the blue acara who just seems to constantly be bothering the severum who is twice its size! The tank is 300L so there is plenty of space for the two. Currently there is only the two in the tank minus a couple of dithers. There are caves in the tank (one a hollow greek style pot and the other created from bog wood but both are too small for the sev to fit in). If anyone could suggest ways to reduce this aggresion would be appreciated. i dont want to rehome him. :(
Thankyou
Danny

Take out the acara, re-arrange the tank, if you have a spare tank pop the acara in that for a day, if not a box/bucket while you re-arrange the tank, then bag him and float the bag as you would adding a new fish. It should trick him into thinking he is in a new tank.

Edit
Dont leave him in a bucket for a day just while you sort out the tank.

Take out the acara, re-arrange the tank, if you have a spare tank pop the acara in that for a day, if not a box/bucket while you re-arrange the tank, then bag him and float the bag as you would adding a new fish. It should trick him into thinking he is in a new tank.

Edit
Dont leave him in a bucket for a day just while you sort out the tank.

Yup, good advice That's what I'd do too.

Honestly, remove one type and establish a pair of just one species- cichlids do so much better, and will show you so much more of their natural behaviour, when kept in pairs and letting them have the tank, then mixing them up. I've tried different things and have never seen new worlds like these thrive better then in pairs without other cichlids to fight over the tank with.

Is it definitely a Blue Acara? I ask as I thought I had a BA until she matured, turns out she is the 'very-similar-when-young' Green Terror.
Have you got a photo?

Yes, deffo a Blue Acara. Aggresion has died down now. I think theyve sorted it out between themselves! Thankyou for all the help!

Most reactions

Back