How to pull Cannisters filter's intake/outtake hoses without water spilling everywhere?

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering about cleaning cannisters filter.

Everytime I pull the Intake/outtake hoses out of the tank, I almost flooded my place!

Also how do clean the hoses?

@NCaquatics

What brand and type of canister filter do you have? I have the Sunsun HW-3000 and it has shutoff valves on top of the canister for both the intake and outtake, and one large shutoff when removing the entire hose connection. I have my canister filter setting in a larger plastic container which has saved my floors from being flooded on several occasions.

One thing to remember is that when the canister filter creates a suction pulling water through the hoses, even when you unplug the filter the suction is still there, just not as fast. So when you go to remove the hoses from the canister end and there is no way of cutting off the water it will still pour out of the tank, due to the suction. Just like suction created when using using a gravel vacuum. Same on the tank side end of the hoses but this water is coming back out of the canister itself.

When you pull the hoses out of the tank, stop and watch the water back flow from the canister, until it stops. The best way is to diconnect the hoses from the canister itself first, then remove from the tank. Ether way you have to wait and let the flow stop before removing the hoses completely from the tank. The worse is if you keep one end inside the tank and pull the other end when there is a suction on the hoses, this is draining water from the tank itself. Lower the water live before you remove the hoses will help with that.

Hope this helps.

Filter in a bucket lol and just pull them

Is the water spilling from the filter side of the tubes, or the aquarium side?

If from the filter side, there should be a valve to shut them off and prevent leaking/siphoning. On every filter I've ever used, one can't unhook the tubes from the canister without sealing them first.

If the water is coming out of the aquarium end of the tubes, simply have a bucket ready. Pull the tubes from the tank, and drawn them into the bucket until they're empty. Then do your maintenance.

I keep my canister in a tote, to prevent water from going on the floor, and to catch potential leaks.

Get a bucket and put the intake hose in the bucket. Then put the outlet hose in the bucket. Lift the inlet hose up and let the water drain out of it. After that, pick up the filter and tip it a bit so some of the water in the filter comes out.

Disconnect the hoses and carry the filter outside to empty and clean.

Thanks, everyone for the reply!

I just realized there's a valve on the hoses, I'm just dumb :oops:
Your not dumb, I am the dumb one because twice now I have flooded my floors during water changes on my 55 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back