How To Naturally Change Ph

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Defiler

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anyway to naturally maintain a lower or higher pH in you aquarium? I know there are things you can add to the water but id rather stay away from that. I have heard that things like rocks and wood can help... but id also worrie about how mutch of it to put in as I would like to acheive a ph of around 6.0-7.0 thanks in advance

the best way to lower the ph to your desired level is by adding peat to your filter.
adding bogwood (not driftwood or mopani) will help keep it lower
as will adding blackwater extract every water change.

with peat filtration you need to keep your eye on the ph levels when it starts to rise that is the time to replace it, for me this is approx every 6 weeks.

I use a combination of RO and tap water to keep it down. My tap is at 8 so that is a little high for some of my fish so I use 1 gal RO to every 2 gallons tap and it has worked so far.

Is the any particular reason you need to alter your ph? Most fish can happily live in a ph that isn't exactly to their precise specifications unless the ph is in the extreme's or somthing or the fish are very fragile species.

Is the any particular reason you need to alter your ph? Most fish can happily live in a ph that isn't exactly to their precise specifications unless the ph is in the extreme's or somthing or the fish are very fragile species.

The main reason I want to keep it lower is because I would like to stalk my tank with Cardinal tetras and disscus and I hear both need lower pH

I too would like some info on using peat, i bought 1liter of Eheims aquarium peat (Ehfi Torf i think) and according to the instructions it is recommended i use another litre for my Trigon 190.

Its about £6 a litre and i need 2, so thats £12 every 6 weeks on, well, glorified mud.

Is there a cheaper alternative? say, a garden peat i can get by the truckload from your everyday garden store like homebase or B & Q?

I have found in the past that keeping Cardinals is possible at a neutral PH, its the Rams that i would like to get it below 7 for as i have never had much luck with them in my water.

Sorry to hijack the thread but hey, im sure these are questions you would benefit from too Defiler :)

yes Supafish do a budget peat 500G for around £5.99
and Sera do pond peat called biotorfgranulat
cost around £10 for 2kg which is suitable for 5000ltr

don't use garden peat or sphagnum peat as this may contain nasties in it.
all peat sold for aquatic use has been irradiated to kill bacterias and bugs etc.

I've recently added Juwel Filter peat to my 20g tank and it's lowered the PH in a week from 7.5+ to 6.6. Great stuff.

Most reactions

Back